Development time (JD-4 chemistry)

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

I recently took "the plunge" by acquiring the Integraf standard kit. I'm using a 5mW HeNe laser instead of the diode Integraf provided, but otherwise it is a rather crude arrangement I have.

Much to my surprise, my first hologram came out very well, but most everything after that has been dim. I have noticed in reading through other threads in the Beginner's section that some people were using one or two minute development times instead of the 10-20 seconds suggested by Integraf for JD-4 chemistry. (Even with the obscurely placed recommendation to dilute the developer 1:1 with distilled water, the developer recommendation rises to only 40 seconds.)

Should I be lengthening my developer time? Although dim, my holograms seem to have good depth and sharpness. The dim appearance is even across the plate (so no under or over exposure hints from dim edges or dim center).

Curious minds want to know...especially since I'm about out of my first lot of 30 plates.

By the way: My next lot will be for PFG-01 plates. I'm doing that both for the variety and because the emulsion on PFG-03M plates is so bloody soft. Any reason for a beginner not to try PFG-01 plates?
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Tom B.

Post by Tom B. »

The suggested exposure test will at least allow you to rule that out as a factor. Inexplicable dimness is the bane of our existence. There are many possible causes, for example constant vibration or air movement from air conditioning etc. The usual suggestion is to set up a Michaelson Interferometer to check the stability of your setup. There should be something on the Wiki about this.

Re PFG-01, it is quite different (coarser grained than PFG-03), but in plate form, not too bad. The film version (if they still make it) is much more difficult. I found that JD-4 did not work nearly as well on PFG-01 as it did on PFG-03. Results were always murky. JD-2 (Catechol with dichromate bleach) produced cleaner results with this emulsion. On balance though, results with PFG-03 (when it worked) were always much brighter and more satisfying than PFG-01.

I wonder if chilling the developer and various rinses below room temperature might help to mitigate the unfortunate softness of PFG-03? The chemistry would slow down somewhat, but that would be OK if allowed for...
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Or you can harden before exposure.

Hardener
Formalin 37% 10ml
Potassium Bromide 2g
Sodium Carbonate 5g
Water to 1L
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Here is the wiki entry on making an interferometer. It could use some work.

http://www.holowiki.com/index.php/Inter ... rferometer