Where did I go wrong? Is my methodology bad? [PICTURE]

Simple answers are here! For Theory look in General Holography.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

To build an interferometer you need a 50% silver mirror, two first surface mirrors and your laser collimated. Search holowiki.com for Interferometer.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

It looks to me like the emulsion came off, notice how clear the center is. That PFG-03M is kind of funny that way.

I live in Chicago, near Midway, so if you ever want to check out the last working holography lab in the city proper come on down. I could show you some of the basic interferometers.

And if you can do it the weekend of 9/24-26/10 that would be great, as Hans Bjelkhagen will be staying at my crib and would like to hang out with any and all holographers in the area. Might even have a BBQ at the Home & Studio if here's enough interest. So anyone else on the Forum would like to check him out, PM me c/o this Forum
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hi Beanland

An interferometer is not something you buy, you make it yourself! Look up Michelson interferometer on google or the Wiki. I made my first interferometer with a piece of 10mm thick window glass and two small pieces of bathroom mirror. This resultet in quite a lot of spots, I just centered the two brightest on top of each other. I got really surprised when I could see the fringes move just from my breathing close to one of the mirrors. So it really works allthough it was made with not so fancy parts. It is a very important thing to make as it will give you an idea of just how sensitive holography is to movements even the smallest ones...
Best of luck!
rzeheb

Post by rzeheb »

Ed Wesly wrote:I live in Chicago, near Midway, so if you ever want to check out the last working holography lab in the city proper come on down. I could show you some of the basic interferometers.

And if you can do it the weekend of 9/24-26/10 that would be great, as Hans Bjelkhagen will be staying at my crib and would like to hang out with any and all holographers in the area. Might even have a BBQ at the Home & Studio if here's enough interest. So anyone else on the Forum would like to check him out, PM me c/o this Forum
O.K., now I am totally jealous! :wall: :cry: :cry: I would dearly love to accept such an invitation!! Unfortunatly, (1) I live in the Boston area and (2) my mother-in-law's 80th birthday celebration is taking place that same weekend. Beanland, if I were you I would jump all over this. These opportunities don't come by very often.
Jeffrey Weil

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello Beanland,

Run, do not walk to Chicago. If its practical of course. I don't know where you live.

Ed W is a classic, he's probably taught more people holography than anyone you'll probably meet. I listened to his advice 25 years ago and I'm still here making holograms for a living.

I have doubts about that safelight of yours. It's a cfl with some green stuff inside it. I"m sure its full of blue, some red and probably even some uv. Its also probably too bright for a safelight. At least put it on a dimmer if your not going to get something else (it won't work too well though, cfl's don't like being dimmed too much). Or filter it way down with some green filter material. When you get the green filter look at the transmissive chart for that color. Just because it looks deep green to your eye doesn't mean it has no red or blue in it.

You would do better with something like this.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13- ... 14199.aspx

possibly on a dimmer depending on where its placed in you lab.

Jeff Weil
NorthBeach Holography Inc.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Jeffrey Weil wrote: You would do better with something like this.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13- ... 14199.aspx

possibly on a dimmer depending on where its placed in you lab.
Also, see this...

http://www.holowiki.com/index.php/The_Lab#Safe_lights
beanland

Post by beanland »

Ed Wesly wrote:It looks to me like the emulsion came off, notice how clear the center is. That PFG-03M is kind of funny that way.

I live in Chicago, near Midway, so if you ever want to check out the last working holography lab in the city proper come on down. I could show you some of the basic interferometers.

Oh, man, that's fantastic. I would have responded to the lot of you earlier, but for some reason I'm not getting updated via e-mail when someone responds. I suppose I need to go check out my user settings and figure out what's going wrong.

I appreciate all of your help, and especially the invitation, Ed. I apologize I didn't respond sooner; again, I hadn't been notified of any responses and have just barely got on to check to see if there were some updates. I'm going to work with the suggestions I've been given--building a worthwhile isolation table, getting a safer safe-light, and putting together an interferometer. And you might be getting a PM from me Ed, at least when I have a little more free time to come visit Chicago and see what you've got put together. I do appreciate it.

These have all been wonderful suggestions, and I'm grateful for all of your help with a newbie like myself. As soon as I have some results I'll post them up!

And what could have caused the emulsion to leave the center? I was confused at the huge empty spot in the center of the glass as well; at first I thought that it looked like that because that's where my laser was hitting it. I guess that's not the case? What precautions can I take to prevent this?