Displaying sandwiched transmission holograms

Holography related topics.
alan.bogana

Displaying sandwiched transmission holograms

Post by alan.bogana »

Hi everybody,

I have a couple of questions concerning the display of holograms:
If I frame a film or a plate transmission hologram by sandwiching it between two sheets of glass or plexi, in order to display it and cutting off the unnecessary light around the hologram with a black cardboard, will it ruin the emulsion because of the pressure generated by the two sheets ?

Which type of plexiglass-perspex would you suggest to display transmission holograms ?
I need to show them sandwiched because it’s actually fragments of films and plates transmission hologram.

Cheers
Alan
Ed Wesly

Re: Displaying sandwiched transmission holograms

Post by Ed Wesly »

"If I frame a film or a plate transmission hologram by sandwiching it between two sheets of glass or plexi, in order to display it and cutting off the unnecessary light around the hologram with a black cardboard, will it ruin the emulsion because of the pressure generated by the two sheets ?" No.

"Which type of plexiglass-perspex would you suggest to display transmission holograms ?"
None, unless it's temporary. Plexi/Perspex is continually giving off fumes, which can ruin the holographic gelatin. Glass is better, and most people balk at using it because of the cutting, but it's not that difficult to master. Cutting plexi is no picnic either, requiring a circular saw with a fine tooth blade. And that acrylimide you smell while cutting plexi is what the sheet is constantly out gassing, which might melt the holo over time.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
alan.bogana

Post by alan.bogana »

Thank you very much for the reply Ed !

Good to know that the sandwichig doens't cause problems.
Worried then about the acrylic solution that I was hoping to choose... Need to change plan (it's for a 2 months period, but I would prefer to leave the holograms sandwiched afterwards...). Maybe I should think of an aluminium frame solution in which the glass plates are tightly held together with screws on the frame. In this sense the plexiglas option was much easier, because I could drill the sheets and put screws on in order to do a tight sandwich.

Cheers
Alan
alan.bogana

Post by alan.bogana »

Hi

I still need to decide how to display some fragment of transmission holograms. My first idea was to sandwich between glass (or plexiglas), but as a matter of fact there is the risk of a "damp patch" effect (as mentioned by Saxby in Practical Holography), which I remarked after some tests.

I've been reading about optical quality MacTac films.
I was thinking that I could simply fix the fragment (of plate or film transmission hologram) to a single sheet of glass (or plexi) by using a double sided optical MacTac film. What do you think ? Any experience on that ? How optically good would be for a transmission hologram ?
Which type of laminating film have you been using ?

Cheers
Alan