DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

Holography related topics.
johnny

DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

Post by johnny »

Hi guys,

Lately I’ve had a lot of time on my hand (thanks to the covid lockdown) and was hoping to build my own 3D holographic autostereoscopic screen for either my computer monitor or TV. I’m a total noob but I was inspired to build this after seeing the Looking Glass displays which allows for the shared VR experience without the need for a HMD (https://lookingglassfactory.com/product/).

I checked out some DIY explanations on building it, by attaching lenticular lenses on top of the monitor: http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~mhirsch/by ... cular.html, but the problem is that they all appear very pixelated.

Is anyone else interested in building your own Autostereoscopic display? Is there a way to build higher Res 3D autostereoscopic screens similar to the Looking Glass? I’ve also heard that the dpi of the screen need to align with the lenticular lens lpi? I'm new to this... any thoughts or advice on whether if this can be done? How did Looking Glass do it?
BobH

Re: DIY 3D Holographic Autostereoscopic Screen

Post by BobH »

The Looking Glass display is not holographic, does not include a hologram in it, does not produce holograms, and has nothing in common with holography. I worked with an autostereoscopic display in 2003 that used a hologram as a screen, and it worked well for a single viewer, but the display you mentioned probably makes waaaaaaaaaay better imagery. It's a real shame they feel the need to glom onto inappropriate and confusing words to sell it. There are real holographic displays in the world, by a few techniques.
Wackhaus

Post by Wackhaus »

Hi Bob, this is ilicia I was actually trying to reach you.
So looking glass is very much lenticular lensing on an lcd display I believe? They can display 45 lines per lenticule I think. The big glass losange block is just that- a big glass block.
Go onto stereoscopic.org there are probably a ton of papers to answer your each and every question.
And go on eBay, pick up an LG thrill for like 25, 30 bucks. It's a stereoscopic camera phone from 2013 with an autostereoscreen. I swear by them, but they're cheap enough to rip apart without any guilt 👍👍👍
pocket full of holograms
Nnnn

Post by Nnnn »

[not holography] talk aside, that LG thrill sounds awesome! And it even comes with a stereo camera too, that's great. Sounds like a fun toy to mess with ^^
Wackhaus

Post by Wackhaus »

It's the most slept on stereoscopic consumer product of all time. I'd put it against a w3 any day of the week. It's one caveat is the shutter lag between depressing the button and the actual snap of the picture but that is literally it.
I cannot sing it's praises loud enough. I've given dozens away to any one interested in stereography, even my good old boys keep one in their pocket.
Once I lost one and found it in a plastic bag I bought my lunch in in the freezer, a week later, with frost on it started right back up.
It's water proof at least until 10ft for a few minutes because I dropped it in the pool in Florida at my mom's, and could not dive for it until the fourth try lol,as soon as I dried it up, it started up. Obv it's a phone so you can upload everything. Via WiFi. There are many apps to still do to it.
pocket full of holograms
Wackhaus

Post by Wackhaus »

@nana yo I'll mail you one dude👍👍👍 I didn't know you were you :lol:
pocket full of holograms