Table cover

Holography related topics.
HoloM

Table cover

Post by HoloM »

Has anyone covered the table to reduce air currents and block noise from outside?

Would you recommend that? Or is that not necessary?

What did you use?

Wood, foam, styrofoam?

Pictures?
Ed Wesly

Re: Table cover

Post by Ed Wesly »

I couldn’t imagine shooting holograms without the covers on the table! Setting up a Mach-Zehnder interferometer over the whole table shows how air currents can be a real problem!
_MG_0005.jpg
_MG_0005.jpg (256.8 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
Please forgive the American units in the following description, but that is how the items are sold at the home construction shops.

The styrofoam panels are found in the insulation department. They are 2 inches thick, and were cut from stock 4 by 8 foot pieces so they are 4 feet long by almost 2 feet tall, taking into account blade thickness when cutting them on a table saw with a fine toothed blade. Three panels edge to edge cover the length of the 12 foot table, and the end pieces were cut to 44 inches to account for the 2 inch thickness of the sides so they fit together nicely.
_MG_7867.jpg
_MG_7867.jpg (400.4 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
_MG_7871.jpg
_MG_7871.jpg (422.38 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
They are painted with egg tempera paint, as everything else melts the styrofoam. They are attached to the table by a magnetic tape. It had its own adhesive on one side, which didn’t last long, so it was re-attached using Norland Photo Engraver’s Glue, https://www.norlandprod.com/fishgel/photoglue.html also known as fish glue, made from Grade A North Atlantic cod. It is a very strong glue, and has a smell that may be familiar from grade school art projects which used an adhesive called “mucilage”.

The box around the lasers was a variation of the insulation, called garage door insulation, and comes in approximately 2 foot by 3 foot sizes to fit into the sections of metal overhead garage doors. It has a layer of aluminum foil attached to it, and that is the side on the inside of the laser box, as an added protection to reflect the heat rather than absorb it and transfer it to the outside of the laser box. The end of the laser box is open for free flow of heat.

Hope this helps solve your problems!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Before I inherited the 4 by 12 foot table, I would shoot on the Big Beam, a 2.3 meter optical rail/crucifix made of flooring timber, well-sealed with varnish. Works better enclosed!
IMG_0034.jpg
IMG_0034.jpg (119.13 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Inside-Edit.jpg
Inside-Edit.jpg (259.49 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
BobH

Post by BobH »

Here's a cover I made out of discarded bicycle boxes.
PolHOED.jpg
PolHOED.jpg (51.49 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
BobH

Post by BobH »

And another one made by cutting regular sized panels of the thickest solid core black matte board I could get at the art store. I would never shoot holograms on an uncovered table.
Sygade HOE Table.jpg
Sygade HOE Table.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
HoloM

Post by HoloM »

Thanks for your Ideas!
I am building a cover, will post pictures, when finished...