why there are some Black stripes on the hologram

Holography related topics.
nobo

why there are some Black stripes on the hologram

Post by nobo »

I am really interested in hologram and I did some experiences in laboratory. However, I don't know why there are some Black stripes which seems somewhat regular on my hologram.
I tried many times but the black stripes still exist and i really hope anyone could help me figure it out. Thank you very much!!
Attachments
q.png
q.png (562.8 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Joe Farina

Re: why there are some Black stripes on the hologram

Post by Joe Farina »

Black stripes in a hologram are often caused by a mode-hopping laser diode. These are also called "contour fringes" and cover the image of the object in regularly-spaced bright and dark contour stripes, making the object look like a zebra.
nobo

Post by nobo »

Joe Farina wrote:Black stripes in a hologram are often caused by a mode-hopping laser diode. These are also called "contour fringes" and cover the image of the object in regularly-spaced bright and dark contour stripes, making the object look like a zebra.
Thanks for your answering!

I know little about the laser and have not heard about the mode-hopping.So does it means that I may need change my laser in order to make a perfect hologram?

And as you know, there are many different kinds of hologram and When I using the following method showed in the picture, the hologram would be okay.
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
nobo

Post by nobo »

Joe Farina wrote:Black stripes in a hologram are often caused by a mode-hopping laser diode. These are also called "contour fringes" and cover the image of the object in regularly-spaced bright and dark contour stripes, making the object look like a zebra.
Besides the parameter of the laser is MRL-III-671nm-50mW and when I adopt the following scheme showed in the picture, the hologram looks like a zebra.
Attachments
b.jpg
b.jpg (11.02 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Most laser diodes are prone to mode-hopping (or slight changes in wavelength) during a holographic exposure, but the effect is unpredictable. I always recommend helium-neon lasers for this reason. They are available at reasonable cost, on eBay for example.

The way to be certain that those stripes are due to mode-hopping is to observe them closely: if they seem to cover the object itself (like they are tattooed on the object) then it's mode-hopping. If the stripes seem to be located on the film plane, then it's something else.
nobo

Post by nobo »

Joe Farina wrote:Most laser diodes are prone to mode-hopping (or slight changes in wavelength) during a holographic exposure, but the effect is unpredictable. I always recommend helium-neon lasers for this reason. They are available at reasonable cost, on eBay for example.

The way to be certain that those stripes are due to mode-hopping is to observe them closely: if they seem to cover the object itself (like they are tattooed on the object) then it's mode-hopping. If the stripes seem to be located on the film plane, then it's something else.
fantastic! I will try to change my laser and find out the problem. Thank you so much!
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

This is one of my favorite discussions on laser diode mode-hopping:

http://assets.newport.com/webDocuments- ... ode_IX.PDF

Below, I've attached a few pages from a long paper which illustrates the "zebra" effect on holograms of objects, when "two" closely-spaced wavelengths of light were used (they were using a dye laser in this case). The same effect happens when a laser diode mode-hops.
contourfringes563.pdf
(652.46 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Also, below is an example of a helium-neon laser which can be found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Helium-Neon-Las ... SwuTxV9OFR