Ain't nobody doing a anything?

Holography related topics.
John Klayer

Ain't nobody doing a anything?

Post by John Klayer »

I haven't seen a new post in a l-o-n-g time! Ain't you guys doing anything?
Valery

Re: Ain't nobody doing a anything?

Post by Valery »

Hi .
I'm working on a color multiplex .....
If interested can show the first photos. ;)
Kristiaan Meerlo

Post by Kristiaan Meerlo »

Soon I will start again. Too hot in the holo room. The weather was very nice in holand :)
Din

Post by Din »

We're doing technical stuff, but display holographers aren't interested in technical holography.

Two weeks from now (Oct 15th), we're going to be presenting at Girl Tech again. This is a STEM program, where young girls, about 8th grade, will be able to come into various rooms at a college in Oceanside (in San Diego) and be presented with science and technology by various presenters. The idea is that 8th grade girls will meet real scientists and see real "science stuff". Last year, we had one room to ourselves, where we set up various holograms, our Princess Leia and some optical effects, in particular a picture made with layers of sticky tape using birefringence. I sat in a corner and with the aid of a camera on a move-able mount and photoshop, took 3D pictures of the girls view-able with red-green glasses. I then emailed the picture to them and gave them a pair of red-green glasses. Along with ourselves, other presenters were General Atomics (the defense company that makes drones for the military, among other things), Qualcomm and other large organisations in the San Diego area. Apparently, the girls' thought we were "the coolest presenters" and so we've been asked to make another presentation this year. We're working on some still more amazing things for them.
Din

Post by Din »

The problem with the forum that I've always seen, right from the very beginning, is there is no discussion of holography. I've said this over and over again, I've suggested topics for discussion, I've made various other suggestions. But - nothing! Silence! No response!

Generally, someone puts up a picture of a hologram, there are a dozen or so "Cool"'s, a few "Wow!"'s and a couple of "That's amazing"'s, then, once more, silence! The community at large seems incapable of articulation.

Once more, I expect....Silence!
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Perhaps this meets the criterion to be about holography. I'm working on a set up to send a C315 beam thru a multimode fiber and then split the output with a plate beamsplitter near the hologram plane to provide the reference and object light. I hope to do this in a cave on October 9 or 10.
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

Din wrote:We're doing technical stuff, but display holographers aren't interested in technical holography.
There is certainly some of that. However, not all of us are display holographers.

I, for one, am just a rank amateur willing to waste lots money on an interesting hobby. Someday I may actually produce a hologram worth showing people, but in the meantime I'm enjoying "just trying things." There was a discussion (sometime ago, now) about using ferro-cyanide chemistry in place of dichromates. Fascinating stuff, and I'd be trying it, too, except for the lack of a good blue laser.

I really enjoy playing with DCG, but available time crossed with a damp, dusty basement hasn't led to the best results. Still, I continue my hobby.
Two weeks from now (Oct 15th), we're going to be presenting at Girl Tech again....
This is a very great thing. Half the population, and society actively discourages them from interests in science and technology. This historical injustice must be corrected. If you have anything you could share, I'd love to see it. (If nothing else, the president of university where I work is very big into girls/women into STEM. I might be able to win some brownie points.... :D )
World's worst holographer
Din

Post by Din »

jsfisher wrote:There is certainly some of that. However, not all of us are display holographers.
Actually, what I meant was that generally people interested in display, whether professional, semi-professional or hobbyists such as yourself, are not interested in the problems we have to solve in terms of the physics and mathematics of holography. For example, for one particular client, we had to make a reflective hologram that contained 4 wavelengths, each with a 10nm bandwidth and each diverging from the other by a set angle. This involved a lot of calculation, which I'm sure that both professional and hobbyists holographers aren't interested in. So, when John asks, "What's everybody doing", my answer was more in the context of the fact that technical holography is doing pretty well, what with all these AR and VR glasses applications, but I assume that John's question concerned holography more in the line of display.
jsfisher wrote:There was a discussion (sometime ago, now) about using ferro-cyanide chemistry in place of dichromates.
You may be mixing apples and oranges. Martin from Polygramma, came up with an emulsion that involved ferro-cyanide, I can't remember the exact emulsion because it was some years ago; if Martin is still reading these pages, perhaps he could chime in with the emulsion. Martin did not have a blue laser, so we coated some plates with his emulsion formulation, shot a few holograms, and sent the results to him. There is also a transmission bleach for silver halide holograms with ferricyanide, which hardly anyone still uses. I used to use it for H1's, but then I switched to CWC2. But, if you're interested in the bleach:

Potassium ferricyanide: 60g
Potassium Bromide: 30g
Water: 1 l
jsfisher wrote:This historical injustice must be corrected.
Absolutely!
jsfisher wrote: If you have anything you could share, I'd love to see it.
Here's the link from the actual organisation from 2015. The first three pictures are the girls in our room looking at holograms, and 3D stuff (we explain how we see 3D with right-eye/left-eye separation, so they understand how 3D glasses work) and playing with lasers: http://www.civiclight.org/2015girltech/

We'll be there again this year, Oct 15th, so I'll post pictures from 2016 in a few weeks.

Here's our Facebook page, showing more pictures of us working with kids: https://www.facebook.com/TripleTakeHolographics/

Joy (you can see her on the third picture on the girl tech link) also works with other groups encouraging women in science.
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Din wrote:
jsfisher wrote:There was a discussion (sometime ago, now) about using ferro-cyanide chemistry in place of dichromates.
You may be mixing apples and oranges.
You are correct. I was mis-remembering. It was ferric ammonium oxalate: http://holowiki.org/wiki/Experimenter%2 ... um_Oxalate
Brian

Post by Brian »

jsfisher wrote: I, for one, am just a rank amateur willing to waste lots money on an interesting hobby. Someday I may actually produce a hologram worth showing people, but in the meantime I'm enjoying "just trying things."
This is where I'm at too. Just trying stuff. For his science project, my son made diffraction gratings from Ed Wesley's 7 single beam projects, where he varied the angle between mirror and plate... his results are pretty cool.