Need Course Outline

Holography related topics.
jhz

Need Course Outline

Post by jhz »

Hi everybody,

I am new here and expecting a warm welcome. :D
I am going to start studying Holography very soon and curious to know subjects which I should have been learnt already. Simply, I want to know the names of subjects I should have knowledge about. :?:
As bachelor course student what will you suggest me to read to learn holography, at beginners level?

Many thanks and will appreciate any suggestions.
BobH

Re: Need Course Outline

Post by BobH »

You are very welcome here, and I hope you find the knowledge you seek! How's that? Anyway, it really depends on what kind of holography interests you. For art, I'd study art, basic photographic processing, shop level math, and get skills working with metal, wood, and glass. Petr Lobaz can probably better describe what you'll need to prepare for a future in the new world of digital holography, where the holographic information is presented on a display (like LCoS).
Din

Post by Din »

As Bob says, it really depends on what you want. That is, what do you mean by "studying holography"?

There are three main aspects to holography:
Art and display
Technical holography
Mass Production holography

In Art and Display, you really don't need much technical knowledge. You need to understand art concepts, the play of light and shadow, a little geometry (very little), a few concepts such as coherence lengths and polarisation (these are easily found on the internet). The most important necessity for Art and Display is the creation of an image. You need an "eye" for an image, then you need to translate the "eye" to a real image. So, this aspect is really photography with lasers. Mostly, art and display holographers show their stuff at art shows, such as at The Holocenter ( http://holocenter.org/ ). My feeling (others may disagree) is that the most vital aspect of Art and Display holography is an understanding of lighting and illumination. A knowledge of how the eye sees colour helps.

In technical holography, you have to have a pretty good grasp of diffractive optics, which is part of a college degree in physics or optical engineering, a fairly good knowledge of mathematics, especially partial differential equations and a fairly deep knowledge of geometry. If you're in a bachelor's course in physics or optical engineering, this is one possibility. There is a growing interest in this type of holography due to the rising interest in VR/AR glasses, for example Microsoft's Hololens, HUDS (Heads Up Displays) for cars and aircraft, applications involving novel displays as well as various military programs. Corporations are spending many millions getting into technical holography, but, you've got to be able to do the physics and mathematics.

Mass Production holography involves holography as it's used in security, product identification and other mass production commercial applications. The actual holography is just standard display holography, but you need a good grasp of geometry. A good place to get an idea of this field is Reconnaisance ( https://www.reconnaissance.net/holography-news/ ).

Bob mentioned digital holography. For this, you need good programming skills, as well as a good knowledge of digital image processing, such as FFT's. You also need to understand what is meant by "image" in terms of mathematical concepts. The book on this (I think, Petr may disagree) is Goodman's "Introduction to Fourier Optics" or Cathey "Optical Information Processing and Holography". Both of these are quite mathematical. But, if you're in a bachelor's course in engineering, you'll be covering all this material.

Overall, a knowledge of chemistry helps, depending on the field you choose. Display and mass production holographers still use chemistry. Increasingly, technical holographers are working on materials that don't need any chemistry.
jhz

Post by jhz »

Thank you very much to both of you. You really explained well, beyond of my expectations :)

I am Bachelor's student and will study Holography at academic level. In my college I have studied Physics, Maths and Chemistry and I heard they all have use in Holography but I am not sure how these subjects are implementing in Holography. It'd be easier for me to understand if you can elaborate in terms of subjects or which subjects most of the academics offer in Bachelor's course.

As Din said:
In technical holography, you have to have a pretty good grasp of diffractive optics, which is part of a college degree in physics or optical engineering, a fairly good knowledge of mathematics, especially partial differential equations and a fairly deep knowledge of geometry.
I found the answer but still little confuse that which subjects are being offered in most academies in Bachelor's course in Holography?
Sorry if I misinterpreted something, English is not my first language.
Din

Post by Din »

As far as I know, there is no bachelor's course in holography in the US or UK. If there is a bachelor's course offered where you are, you should ask the university.

You need physics, mathematics and chemistry at the technical level because holography is a diffractive optical effect. You record a wavefront (usually optical) of a real object, for display holography, or you simulate the wavefront of a real object on a computer, or you record an abstract wavefront, such as may be generated by a set of optics like a series of lenses. If you want to record a wavefront of a real object, you illuminate the object with laser light, and allow it's reflected wacefront to be transferred to a holographic medium. For a technical wavefront, you generate the required wavefront, then transfer to the medium. In any case, you allow the wavefront to interfere with another beam of laser light, called the reference beam. This creates an interference pattern on the medium. To reconstruct the wavefront, you illuminate it again with the reference beam. Diffraction of the reference beam from the interference pattern reconstructs the recorded wavefront. Physics allows you to model the process, mathematics allows you to determine the appropriate wavefront, and the parameters, such as exposure, time of recording etc. Chemistry allows you to amplify the recorded wavefront, in some media.

If you simply want to make holograms of real objects - display holography - you need none of these things. In this case, you need to learn the process of holography.

For the technical aspects of holography, you should look at:
"Optical Holography" by P. Hariharan (https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/op ... EE7AF9CEC4 )
"Introduction to holography" by V. Toal
jhz

Post by jhz »

Hi Din, Thank you very much. I got it now and you explained really good. The study of Holography is more related to Optics and in Optics we also need Maths and Physics concepts.
Thank you again for being nice to me and for you time. :)
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Here are some of my teaching materials from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Gallery 1134: http://www.edweslystudio.com/Pedagogy/P ... meset.html

Have fun!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
jhz

Post by jhz »

Ed Wesly wrote:Here are some of my teaching materials from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Gallery 1134: http://www.edweslystudio.com/Pedagogy/P ... meset.html

Have fun!
Thank you sir, you shared a great knowledge.
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

Hi, jhz,
I think the others gave you good answers; here is my small complement. If you want to learn any type of holography (art, technical, digital, whatever), the best you can do in the beginning is to make a simple hologram. Check hologram kits at http://www.integraf.com/shop/hologram-kits. They are, as far as I know, accompanied by very nice brochures that explain basics. There are other kits on the market, such as https://www.litiholo.com/, but if you want more than a toy, get the integraf one.
Write us where are you from! Maybe we can suggest you some holographer in your neighbourhood. That's because there is something better than making your hologram: to watch someone making a hologram and THEN making your own.

Petr