possible to fix fuzzy integral hologram?

Holography related topics.
steviebbbb

possible to fix fuzzy integral hologram?

Post by steviebbbb »

Hi: I have a "classic" integral hologram, "The Kiss" that I got at the Museum of Holography in New York in the 80's. I have not displayed it in some time, and it now appears quite out of focus and fuzzy. I'm very disappointed because I still love this piece - Is there any way to repair it?
John Klayer

Re: possible to fix fuzzy integral hologram?

Post by John Klayer »

I wish too. Mine looks like most of the emulsion washed away.
Valery

Post by Valery »

Do you have her photo?
jrburns47

Post by jrburns47 »

I think Bob Arkin in one of the Facebook holo groups had the correct solution for you. You need to use a clear bulb with a vertical filament. Home Depot still had some a few years ago in 40 & 60 watt sizes. eBay still sells some 100 watt versions by the case but make sure the seller knows that the filament must be vertical and not horizontal. MoH sold two versions of The Kiss over the years - one that was 9" high by about 18-20" across and a mini version that was about 2-3" high and about 6-8" across. The normal size one should have the bulb about 8" behind the hologram and 12-18" below the hologram. Usually, the bulbs were placed in an aluminum cylinder painted flat black inside, with a flat aluminum piece of metal, hemispherically shaped and half the size of the opening at the top of the aluminum can, to block unwanted extra light scatter that could cause the hologram to be more blurry. Good luck.