Introductions

Holography related topics.
BobH

Re: Introductions

Post by BobH »

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing new holograms!
maskedkoala

Post by maskedkoala »

Thanks Bob. By the way, looking through some older posts, I see that you've frequently been against the use of sand tables which is making me rethink my decision. My plan is to progress through various types of holograms over several months/years, starting with whatever the Integraf kit tells me to do, and gradually increasing in complexity/difficulty. I'm also budget and movement constrained. Budgetwise, right now I can probably sink maybe $1-2k into this per year. Additionally, I'm renting, so there's a decent possibility that I will have to move after a year or two, and the way my work is, I could have to move a significant distance in the next 1 to 10 years (how's that for uncertainty). I wonder what would be your (or others') recommendation as I progress...
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Here is another link in regards to the JK lasers mentioned a few posts above: http://edweslystudio.com/Museums/Laser/JK/HLS2.html

And my latest addition to the above: http://edweslystudio.com/Museums/Laser/ ... Align.html
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
maskedkoala

Post by maskedkoala »

Ed Wesly wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 am Here is just what you need: http://edweslystudio.com/Pedagogy/7SBP/ ... gBeam.html
Nice! It looks like I might be able to get pretty far on that. Thanks for the tip.
BobH

Post by BobH »

I've had a 4'x8'x2.5" Newport breadboard since 1982, and have set it up six times in different locations since. The cinder block and plywood structure under it caost about $400 each time. A 4'x6' x2.5" breadboard would have been much easier to move and store, but one would need more powerful collimating optics for that. Lots can be done up to 4x5" sizes on a 3'x5' surface, or even 2'x4'. I'd watch craigslist and ebay for a local cheap one.
maskedkoala

Post by maskedkoala »

BobH wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:11 am I've had a 4'x8'x2.5" Newport breadboard since 1982, and have set it up six times in different locations since. The cinder block and plywood structure under it caost about $400 each time. A 4'x6' x2.5" breadboard would have been much easier to move and store, but one would need more powerful collimating optics for that. Lots can be done up to 4x5" sizes on a 3'x5' surface, or even 2'x4'. I'd watch craigslist and ebay for a local cheap one.
I wouldn't mind saving up and shelling out for a table eventually, but dang, that's what, like 500 lb? Do you hire someone to move that around for you, or do you have equipment, or a bunch of really strong friends? Is $400 the average cost to get it moved in total, or just for the supporting structure itself?

Also, sorry for commandeering the intro thread. In retrospect, I probably should have started a new thread elsewhere.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Average cost of materials to build a cinder block table under the breadboard, including inner tubes, was $400. A couple times I had friends help move it. A couple times had to hire help for the minimum time. Easy to store a large breadboard too, up against a wall. A sandbox would've certainly cost as much each time to rebuild, or be a big mass of materials to move. I was serious about my holography, and wanted clean, predictable, consistant, reliable, and professional equipment to do it. That's just me. Your goals may be different, making a different table style the best for you.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Good day,

I think it is time to introduce myself and take a minute to thank everyone on this forum for the vast amount of information available. It has truly been helpful, and I want to try to give back with things I have learned along the way. Maybe they can be helpful to someone else!
I came across this forum in August 2020. Reading about holography somewhere (don't remember where) sparked my interest and it went from there. Finding the forum was a big help.
Like many others, I started with one of Dave's RGB laser modules, at first on Liti film and later on my own DCG film. The DCG learning process has been as difficult, if not more, than the rest of holography in general. I've moved from a sand "table" in a concrete mixing tub to a breadboard with real optical mounts, and have made numerous other process improvements.
I still have a long way to go and will surely need more advice as I go. Hopefully I can give back as well!

Thanks again for all the information so far,
Erik