Introductions

Holography related topics.
Loic74

Re: Introductions

Post by Loic74 »

Hello W,
I like your blog very much!
Is it a SM optical fiber I see in one of your lab’s pics? I am thinking of testing PM fiber to couple and deliver RGB light to my setup for full color holography tests
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Wolfgang PM me your address and I’ll send you some to test! My units have an already installed fast axis lens ...
julian1179

Post by julian1179 »

Hi all. I'm Julian, a PhD student at Northwestern University.

I stumbled upon this forum a few months ago and finally decided to make an account. My research is in optics and photonics, often using digital and volume holography for various applications. Most of my experience is in fabricating and using PQ:PMMA volume holograms for high density storage and other optics applications. Otherwise, I've published a few papers on the use of digital holography for automated rapid image processing (feel free to read more on that at this link ) and I recently started using thin-film holograms (PFG-03 C) for another project.
lobaz

Post by lobaz »

Welcome, Julian.
Your paper looks interesting. Maybe I finally get an answer what is the Mellin transform good for :)

Petr
julian1179

Post by julian1179 »

Hey Lobaz!

The PMT has a few interesting applications in general optics, but its use is fairly limited. We've used it to great success in preparing an image for rotation and scale invariance, given its relation to the Fourier Transform. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it in more detail :D
maskedkoala

Post by maskedkoala »

Hello,

I took a great holography course about 15 years ago when I was studying physics at The Ohio State University, and always wanted to come back to it. Since graduating, I've had a pretty solid career in photonics with a rather long stint at Thorlabs, and now I'm designing and building UV Raman detection systems in Florida. Just last week, I finally completed my Master's in Optical Science at the University of Arizona. So for the first time since my introduction to holography, I have all three of time, space, and money to rekindle the hobby. I'm looking forward to digging through the vast amount of information here.

Cheers!
jrburns47

Post by jrburns47 »

You’re in a great place to learn more about holography. Both Mark Diamond and Jeffrey Weil are excellent sources in the Miami area.
BobH

Post by BobH »

If you're still in Arizona, feel free to visit my lab here in Tempe. I have a number of large collimating mirrors that could be available for sale, as well as lots of film, two automated film processors, two large optical tables and possibly even a JK pulsed ruby laser with lots of spare parts, all for great surplus prices.
Loic74

Post by Loic74 »

a JK pulsed ruby laser with lots of spare parts, all for great surplus prices
@BobH, I am looking for a spare oscillator for a JK-HLS4 which is sitting in my garage... Basically I need the Q-Switch, the two etalons and the rod and pumping-chamber (I have the mirrors). I believe this oscillator is identical between the various HLS series. I have a working HLS2 and a HLS3 so worst case I could scavange one but I'd rather find second hand gear to play with the HLS4 and try get a noisy 10J pulse out of it :mrgreen:
maskedkoala

Post by maskedkoala »

jrburns47 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 pm You’re in a great place to learn more about holography. Both Mark Diamond and Jeffrey Weil are excellent sources in the Miami area.
Sounds great. I'll have to arrange a field trip if we can ever make it through this coronavirus stuff. Things are getting worse and worse in Florida right now.
BobH wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 am If you're still in Arizona, feel free to visit my lab here in Tempe. I have a number of large collimating mirrors that could be available for sale, as well as lots of film, two automated film processors, two large optical tables and possibly even a JK pulsed ruby laser with lots of spare parts, all for great surplus prices.
That sounds awesome. I've only been through AZ a couple times (I was a distance student), and for my defense, well, they're doing everything through Zoom right now. Bummer, I really love traveling out there. So much optics! I'll hit you up next time I'm in AZ.

I just picked up one of Holomaker's PL530 systems and an Integraf holography kit. I figure I'll start small and "pay my dues." It's looking like I'll probably soon build some variation of the sand table at my home (the wife is concerned about the imminent conversion of the guest bedroom into a holography lab). It'll be a fun challenge working without the 1/4-20 on 1'' spacing tables and trays of optics mounts that I've grown accustomed to. I'd like to think that some time in the somewhat distant future I'll have a sweet lab set up, but I'm not sure at the moment how to get from here to there. One step at a time, I guess.