Introductions

Holography related topics.
favalora

Introductions

Post by favalora »

Hello holographers,

What a joy to see the forum online and the community "resparked"!

By way of re-introduction, I'm Gregg Favalora, an optics entrepreneur in the Boston area. I was bitten by the autostereoscopy bug back in high school - now I'm 36 so I suppose it's chronic. I am currently Principal of a product-engineering firm called Optics for Hire, which designs lenses and electro-optical prototypes for all sorts of things for our customers. (We're the sort of firm whose product's you've probably seen before, but are private-labeled.) Prior to that, I spent most of my career as founder and CTO of a 3-D display firm called Actuality Systems. While I've been involved in making (4? 5?) different autostereo displays, like volumetric and highly multi-view, I've only made a whopping TWO holograms, with the help of friends at the MIT Museum's basement lab. I enjoy learning from y'all about the art and science of it.

Best,
Gregg Favalora
http://www.greggandjenny.com/gregg
hadmin

Introductions

Post by hadmin »

Welcome to the board Gregg and many thanks for starting the introductions thread. It's good to see you around.

I've made the thread sticky, so we can continue the tradition of introductions from the old forum.

Ahmet
Waldir

Introductions

Post by Waldir »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a topic for introductions, so I'm doing a short one here: I just started a PhD in computer-generated holography (CGH). Through it's been a topic that always attracted me, I never studied it in detail, so right now I don't yet have much background in the area. My undergraduate and masters' degrees were in computer graphics, and I am excited to start research in CGH which has the potential to make holography interactive. I'd like to meet forum members who are interested in this as well (a_k told me there are a few).

I also have a specific question: for my PhD, my supervisor and I are looking to possibly get funding to acquire equipment to test the generated holograms, namely SLM (spatial light modulator) screens. However, we're having some difficulty finding/comparing hardware kits and prices. What equipment would you guys recommend (or discourage)?

Thanks in advance!
Waldir
holorefugee

Introductions

Post by holorefugee »

Hi Waldir!

I'll offer an unofficial welcome! It is good to have a new person aboard.
a_k

Introductions

Post by a_k »

Hello Waldir and welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. Your post has been merged into the existing introductions thread.

Ahmet
Bruno

Introductions

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

Having followed this forum for a while now I thought I'd finally register and say hello. I've had an interest in optics, holography and lasers ever since I saw the eagle hologram on National Geographic Magazine (1984 I believe). I've never done any actual holography but I intend to at some point. Until then I won't have much to contribute so I'm not going to clutter the forum with rants from an armchair holographer. I'll probably only start posting once I get started on an optical table - which is a bit of a challenge in a house right next to a road where heavy traffic makes the floor shake badly enough to make one wake up...

My background is in audio, particularly power electronics and control systems design.

Anyhow I just like to say thanks to the experts who share their knowledge so openly here.

Cheers,

Bruno P.
Jem

Introductions

Post by Jem »

Hi Bruno

Welcome aboard :)

Holography is a brilliant hobby that presents many challenges, it's great to have you with us.

Is there any chance you could fill out your approximate geographic location in your profile? We can then see roughly where you are and there may even be some 'local' help ;)

Cheers

Jem
rzeheb

Introductions

Post by rzeheb »

Hi Bruno,

I would like to add my voice to Jem's in welcoming you to the forum. It's a great place to be!

Ron
Johnfp

Introductions

Post by Johnfp »

Hey I welcome you also.
Until then I won't have much to contribute so I'm not going to clutter the forum with rants from an armchair holographer
I personally would love some armchair holographer clutter on this forum. It may stem some new thoughts and ideas.
BobH

Introductions

Post by BobH »

Welcome!