Introductions

Holography related topics.
gezzer

Re: Introductions

Post by gezzer »

hello people, i'm Ömer Gezer, 23, located in İstanbul and studying mechanical engineering in ITU.

My hobbies vary to many technical fields like photography, computers, dj'ing, chemistry, electronics, mechanics etc.

I've always wondered about holograms autostereoscopic capabilities but had no idea since i've finally read some stuff on holograms. learning that it doesn't require some million dollar laboratory equipment i'm eager to shoot some.

first of all i do not like to spend too much for starting a hobby so i skipped buying proper starter kits and planning to try shoot first on some homemade dcg plates with a variety of 405nm low power diode lasers. all holographic medium suppliers that ship to turkey charge around $25 dollar for the shipping, i'm used to buy stuff from china so i just don't like that.

topics i start for asking questions might be full of misconceptions, so be ready :)
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

This is a reintroduction. I am rejoining the pursuit of holography after a long absense. I have a space for my table again and have saved all my lasers and optics. I am not sure when I will have first light but it looks like it will be within a year or so.

I spent my early life as a guitar maker and switched to brewing beer 13 years ago. About 7 years ago I lost the space for my table. I have been very active in the forum in the past and hope to have time to contribute in the future. I have noticed that I will have to re-study some of the holography but I still have all my books.
Din

Post by Din »

Colin Kaminski wrote:I have noticed that I will have to re-study some of the holography
Colin, you may find this link useful: http://holowiki.org/wiki/Beginner's_Corner :lol:

Actually, I'm joking, of course. It's just 'object beam - reference beam'. You don't need bloody Kogelnik to make a porcelain cat! With all your experience in lighting, you're probably far ahead of most display holographers.
Colin Kaminski

Post by Colin Kaminski »

The crazy thing is I have forgotten simple ideas like the set up for making an achromatic hologram. I remember what book to look in but 15 years ago it would have been fresh in my mind.
Din

Post by Din »

To make what I call an achromat (also called "open aperture" - A lot of people such as Jeff Weil call an "achromat a multi-slit rainbow arranged at the so-called "Benton angles" so as to fuse the slits and make them 'white'), you make an H1 as normal, ie object beam(s) and ref. You then image this on the second, H2, plate so as to straddle the H2 plate. That is, the image from the H1 must be image-planed onto the H2 plate. You then hit the H2 plate with a reference from the same side as the H1, but do not slit the H1. Basically, you're making a second transmission hologram, but this time the image straddles the plate. The reason it comes out as an achromat is that any transmission hologram in white light will disperse; all the wavelength components will diffract in different directions. But, the dispersion starts at the plate. Therefore, if the distance from the image to the plate is zero (the image straddles the plate), then the dispersion is also zero, up to about an inch or so on either side.
hologram

Post by hologram »

hello,

my name is gregory and i'm a 25-year-old prospective holographer. in retrospect, i think i should've chosen a less ambiguous username. i don't think i realised that i had already been bitten by the holography bug when i created my account!

my background is mainly in computer programming and more recently, electronics. my newest interest, of course, is holography. i have no formal education in any of these things.

i have never actually seen a hologram in real life. the first time i saw one online, it was actually a "scratchogram", a method of producing holograms invented by bill beaty of amasci. i must have been 11 or 12 at that time. his site really catalyzed my interest in science.

this inspired me to learn more about the principles of holography. i was eventually lead to the work of david bohm, a proponent of the holographic universe theory who was a protege of einstein. i ordered his book "wholeness and the implicate order" as a teen, and even though much of it went over my head, what didn't really stuck with me. if nothing else, it's a very beautiful theory and way to look at the universe.

anyway. two weeks ago, i had no idea there was such a thing as amateur holography!

it is sad to see that holography is becoming a forgotten art, but at the same time, it's quite exciting to pursue something so obscure...

you will likely be seeing a lot more of me in the coming months. most everything is in the mail, and it's just a matter of time until i'm pleading for help with my DCG holograms :lol:

this is a great community. i'm happy to be a part of it.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Welcome! Can you mention where you're located? That way, we can recommend a local holographer to help you with directly as well as here.
hologram

Post by hologram »

BobH wrote:Welcome! Can you mention where you're located? That way, we can recommend a local holographer to help you with directly as well as here.
i live in vancouver, BC. it would be great to meet some local holographers!
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Vancouver is a hot bed of holographic activity! There is Gary Cullen, Melissa Crenshaw, Al Razutis, Bernd Simpson. These people don't frequent this site, but more likely found on https://www.facebook.com/groups/Holography/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/Holography/, so you could PM via that.

Have fun!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Din

Post by Din »

hologram wrote: i was eventually lead to the work of david bohm, a proponent of the holographic universe theory who was a protege of einstein. i ordered his book "wholeness and the implicate order" as a teen, and even though much of it went over my head, what didn't really stuck with me. if nothing else, it's a very beautiful theory and way to look at the universe.
Join the club! I studied theoretical physics under David Bohm and he was difficult to understand even face-to-face. At any rate, the concept of the holographic universe is nothing to do with holography, as practiced by holographers. Bohm came up with a question ( if you're curious about his question, it was: "Why are the laws of nature known throughout the universe, or, why does every point of the universe contain the same laws".) The question was answered in the 90's by Susskind and others using a variation of String Theory.

At any rate, getting back to holography (quite a step down from the universe!), I'd advise to start simple. It's very tempting to see amazing holograms and try to make them, but it's necessary to start slow, especially with holography, because there are so many failure modes. An excellant resource, if you haven't already got it, is Fred's book: http://www.amazon.com/Holography-Handbo ... unterseher . Almost every holographer I know (including myself) started with this book.