Zero order quartz wave plate options?

Holography related topics.
jrburns47

Zero order quartz wave plate options?

Post by jrburns47 »

I’m planning on putting together three 532nm polarizing cube beam splitter setups.
I’m looking at three possibilities for zero order quartz half wave plates from Star Optic in China. The choice is between cemented, optically contacted, and air spaced. They’ll be used with up to 450mw of beam power.
Any thoughts re three possibilities?
http://www.staroptic.com.cn/product/277837357
Thanks for any guidance.
Suggestions for other quality low price suppliers also welcome.
holomaker

Re: Zero order quartz wave plate options?

Post by holomaker »

Jody are you combining 532nm laser beams ? Or you need for 3 separate setups ? 450mW is higher power and airspaced plate would handle the higher power better....
Did you check Anchor optics?
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

It must be zero order? I am doing pretty well with a multiple order, with the exact fit at my 532 nm laser.
jrburns47

Post by jrburns47 »

Apparently zero order type is less sensitive to temperature shift than multi order. I’m not combining 532nm beams. I’m changing over from disk based VBS to polarizing cube VBS for greater object beam stability and smoother/finer beam ratio control. Two different setups - one with about 100mw of power and the other with about 420-450mw of power. Choice is between cemented, optical contact, and air spaced wave plates. So far, i’ve Gotten recommendations for cemented and air spaced from holographers I respect. If cemented, will the beam damage/melt/burn optical cement? Don’t understand significance of “optical contact” - seems like there’s still going to be a very thin layer of air molecules in there. Air spaced is apparently AR coated on all four surfaces but is intended mainly for pulsed and higher power beams. Question is, what constitutes a “higher power” beam? 100mw will burn my finger.

I’ll check out Anchor Optic. Putting one together from Thorlabs or Newport would be around $1000 per system. Star Optic in Wuhan China seems much more cost effective if they are reliable quality. Anyone know anything about them?