GP-3 or MM Color 1?

Archive donated by http://www.holography.ru - Converted by HoloM.
Sergey Vorobyov

GP-3 or MM Color 1?

Post by Sergey Vorobyov »

I had comparative test for two holographic developers for photoplates PFG-03m: GP-3 and MM Color 1.
The parameters of test was next:
- exposition of photoplate: 0,5 mJ/cm.sq.
- tempetature of develop: 19C
GP-3:
- dilute: 1:30
- time of develop: 5 min
MM Color 1:
- dilute: 1:50
- time of develop: 30 min
and
- dilute: 1:100
- time of develop: 40 min
Result: the bright of hologram for GP-3 is better then for MM Color 1. The color of image is yellow for GP-3 and is red for MM Color1.
The density om emulsion layer is biggish for MM Color 1 then for GP-3. So, the develop process more fine for GP-3. The increase of dilute for MM Color 1 don't influence to quality of hologram.
Maybe, somebody have other result.
Sergey Vorobyov

GP-3 or MM Color 1?

I had experiments for improve developer MM Collo 1 for develop photoplates PFG-03m. It has conflicting formula (as I think), for example it consist KBr and ammonium thiocyanate. This component has opposite actions - ammonium thiocyanate dissolves AgBr (and this very important for physical develop) and KBr impede of this dissolve.
I remove KBr from formula and add ammonium thiocyanate before 15g/l for more effectuality. I add sodium sulfite 20g/l too, for reduce of oxidation of developer.
I received next formula (let it have name “SD” developer):Metol...2g
Sodium sulfite...20g
Ascorbic acid...7g
Methylphenidone...0,5g
Potassium carbonate...20g
Ammonium thiocyanate...15g
Water...1l
Dilution 1:50 (10 ml to 500 ml water)Condition of record: E – 0,4 mJ/sq.cm, time of develop – 30 min, temperature – 20C
Comparative develop in GP-3 had parameters: dilution 1:30 (15 ml to 400 ml water), time of develop – 7 min, temperature – 20CThe analysis of test holograms show: the brightness and contrast of image of both holograms is equal! So, such developer can be use as level as GP-3.
I shell try show photos of this holograms on our site, if can.The image has been added here: [ 08 August 2003: Message edited by: Administrator ]
Martin

GP-3 or MM Color 1?

Post by Martin »

"The analysis of test holograms show: the brightness and contrast of image of both holograms is equal! So, such developer can be use as level as GP-3."
This is good news, thank you for your tests!I have to admit your results do no surprise me much. When we run our tests of PFG-03 with different developer formulas, we soon found out that very little had to be done to get very satisfactory results. For example by adding a few grams of ammonium thiocyanate to a simple commercial paper developer ("Neutol", Agfa), we immediately achieved results that rivaled with GP-2 and GP-3 development.Regarding the composition of MM-Collo1, some observations:
"I had experiments for improve developer MM Collo 1 for develop photoplates PFG-03m. It has conflicting formula (as I think), for example it consist KBr and ammonium thiocyanate. This component has opposite actions - ammonium thiocyanate dissolves AgBr (and this very important for physical develop) and KBr impede of this dissolve."I am not sure about that statement. It took me a while to understand that KBr could carry out the same function as the ammonium thiocyanate. At least at high concentration, KBr can be used to fix photographic emulsions - provided the latter is formed of silver chloride/silver bromide (and not of silver iodides!).
By the way, if I am not misled there is a Russian colloidal developer, PRG-1, that is based but on KBr as the silver halide solvent.So to come back to the initial formula of MM-Collo1, the addition of a relatively low amount of KBr was designed to act as a fog inhibitor. And so far it really provided extremely clean layers at that time.
Sergey Vorobyov

GP-3 or MM Color 1?

Can you record test holograms, which confirm your presumption about good influence of KBr? All we have different chemical, so we must make comparative test record. I record ONE hologram, cut it to two parts and make different develop for each of this parts. It give guarantee, both parts had equal exposition.
Martin

GP-3 or MM Color 1?

Post by Martin »

quote:Originally posted by Sergey Vorobyov:
I had comparative test for two holographic developers for photoplates PFG-03m: GP-3 and MM Color 1.
The parameters of test was next:
- exposition of photoplate: 0,5 mJ/cm.sq.
- tempetature of develop: 19C
GP-3:
- dilute: 1:30
- time of develop: 5 min
MM Color 1:
- dilute: 1:50
- time of develop: 30 min
and
- dilute: 1:100
- time of develop: 40 min
Result: the bright of hologram for GP-3 is better then for MM Color 1. The color of image is yellow for GP-3 and is red for MM Color1.
The density om emulsion layer is biggish for MM Color 1 then for GP-3. So, the develop process more fine for GP-3. The increase of dilute for MM Color 1 don't influence to quality of hologram.
Maybe, somebody have other result.Yes, this would make an interesting test. The problem is I only have a few
tiny pieces of old PFG-03 film left, heavily stained brown around the edges.
In addition, having made some experience with the problems of increased hardening (ageing)
over a certain period of time, it might be best to run such a test with film samples from the same batch.