Jobs Forum

Looking to work in holography? Need a holographer? Post here!
Colin Kaminski

Jobs Forum

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I think this could turn into one of the best forum sub-sections ideas I have heard. I'll add rules if I think of any.

Remember if you post an email address Bots will find it and send you all sorts of email.

I hope some of the amateurs here turn pro!
JohnFP

Jobs Forum

Post by JohnFP »

WOW, totally and excellent idea!!!
BobH

Jobs Forum

Post by BobH »

A noble cause for sure, but I think Ron's post will probably be the only one for a long, long time. :| Anyone looking seriously for a Photonics Technician (who do the job most holographers do) will probably look to the local university for grad students or the LEOT schools that may still exist.

Holographers (very few of which ever visit here) generally don't hire other "holographers" because it puts "too many cooks in the kitchen". Physicists and engineers don't hire "holographers" because (I've been told) they believe they are poisoned by bad practices like using sand tables, found optics and improvised mounts promoted by authors with art backgrounds instead of engineering. They all think any peon can do the "lab work" they themselves can do (but really can't) if they only had the time. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Leaving this section on the forum will only serve as a daily reminder that holography is not a good career choice. I really, really wish it weren't so, but that's my take on it. Despite that, I hope Ron finds an assistant and that it's the result of his posting here.
Danny Bee

Jobs Forum

Post by Danny Bee »

BobH wrote:A noble cause for sure, but I think Ron's post will probably be the only one for a long, long time. :| Anyone looking seriously for a Photonics Technician (who do the job most holographers do) will probably look to the local university for grad students or the LEOT schools that may still exist.

Holographers (very few of which ever visit here) generally don't hire other "holographers" because it puts "too many cooks in the kitchen". Physicists and engineers don't hire "holographers" because (I've been told) they believe they are poisoned by bad practices like using sand tables, found optics and improvised mounts promoted by authors with art backgrounds instead of engineering. They all think any peon can do the "lab work" they themselves can do (but really can't) if they only had the time. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Leaving this section on the forum will only serve as a daily reminder that holography is not a good career choice. I really, really wish it weren't so, but that's my take on it. Despite that, I hope Ron finds an assistant and that it's the result of his posting here.
Bob I agree with you in part but not in the whole comment... Colins maybe a better name would be " Holographic Opportunities" this would give it a broader prospective ...... :lol:
Jeffrey

Jobs Forum

Post by Jeffrey »

OK, I'm looking for an "opportunity" ...

a year later, and there hasn't been a post. Unfortunately, Bob is right.

I hate to accept the reality that no business wants a holographer, and a holographer can't find a financial backer, but all of us holographers are prone to dreaming that the economic world will catch on to our coolness. Financial reality is - a history of bad holography investments, no history of market need.

So I put in more years at the post office...
Colin Kaminski

Jobs Forum

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Sometimes opportunities are made and not found. Good Luck. I hope one day I find a rich mistress that is looking for have a holographer on her back 40. :pray:
mr mr

Jobs Forum

Post by mr mr »

The "hologrpahic" business is a strange place to be, most of you out there will know far more about making holographic images than I, but sadly they are not "mass market" enough to be commercially viable. I've managed to work in the field of security holography for more than 15 years, making masters for numerous banknotes, credit cards, passports, driving licenses etc.... but nobody will ever know who I am

I agree it may be difficult to find an opportunity to turn your passion in to a “job”, but in reality would you want to be working for a corporation churning out masters for mass production, for which you will never get any recognition for…ever….

… just a thought!
Jeffrey

Jobs Forum

Post by Jeffrey »

Well, Mr, I congratulate you for having a holography job, but I don't think that those of us out here in art and hobby land are thinking we would rather be making little dove masters. I think, if I may speak for a group, that we want to be appreciated for the awesome tiny miracles that we can produce. Being able to sell them would help, being regularly employed would be fantastic - a dream. These days, after work, we instead hide in the basement and struggle to make tiny images for no rewards; it was better way back in the 80's. I used to create fabulous images for artists, get no credit when their pictures hung in galleries, and get paid too - it used to be possible. Then I witnessed an entire generation of San Francisco artists give up their various mediums and turn to web design... no more thinking outside the box. The internet is such a fascinating box.
We are fantasizing a better world here, not wishing for your production job. If the world were really measured by the big embossers, there would be no hobbyists. I, too, made some security holograms, quite creative ones, but what the customer wanted was non-reproducibility, not creativity. What the security producers want seems to be - no other security producers. All those lawsuits in holography history...
So what we lament is that we live in a society where paranoid business wins out over beauty, novelty and innovation. Some customer will pay $20,000 for your boss's little stickers, while Larry Lieberman's true holographic irreplaceable vintage artworks go for $100 on eBay...
I don't think creativity and commercial production fit together anyway. Producing in one's own studio, however humble, is limited by the imagination. The boss's studio is limited by what the boss allows you to do, which is always not much. Broke artists, appreciate what you've got, do what you can with what you've got.