Artist looking for a holographer to work with

Looking to work in holography? Need a holographer? Post here!
Defiant Nun

Post by Defiant Nun »

Hello everyone,
Does anyone out there know of a holographer who would be willing to work with an artist on a set of limited edition pieces?
I have some $$, but would also entertain the idea of paying cost and splitting the money made. If I make them, they will sell. Any advice/leads greatly appreciated.
BobH

Post by BobH »

Can you post a link to your work?
Danny Bee

Post by Danny Bee »

aloso where are you located? what area?
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Since you have an interest in holography, I would pursue that interest, instead of looking for a collaborator for the finished holograms.

If holography is ever to become something meaningful, it should never be viewed as some kind of weird union of art and science. It might briefly cause a stir, like it did during the 1980's, but of course that quickly died out. And today, it no longer has the "gimmick" appeal that it did back then.

As an art medium, holography has tremendous potential, more than any other medium at the present time. But it's a potential which is almost completely unexplored (for various reasons).

If you are an artist, that is good. If you want to make holograms, then your medium is holography. The artist should have a clear idea of what's possible (and what is not) in the chosen medium. This is a thorny issue when it comes to holography, becasue it seems so complex (though it doesn't have to be) and expensive (the expense factor is very real, however, if quality results are to be obtained, no matter what others may say).

So I would look for a good holographer/consultant to get you started down the road. Then you can put all the pieces together yourself. Really, as an artist, you need to be able to do this. When you have all the peices in front of you, you can arrange them, and put them together properly, according to you intentions. This reminds me of something that Pontormo once said:

"He is overbold, indeed, wishing to imitate with pigments all the things produced by nature, so that they will look real, and even to improve them so that his pictures may be rich and full of varied details. He will paint, for instance, wherever they fit his purpose, glares, nights with fires or other lights, the air, clouds, landscapes with towns in the distance or close by, buildings with many varied systems of perspective, animals of many sorts and many colors, and a multitude of other things. Sometimes a scene painted by him will include things that nature never produced. Furthermore, as I said above, he will improve the things he depicts, and with his art he will give them grace, arrange them, and group them where they look best."
BobH

Post by BobH »

I agree with much of what Joe just wrote, except that I believe holography to be a technique and not a medium. A technique that a sculptor may choose to use to present their work. Like casting. Casting is not a "medium", is it?

Holography may be a medium if the artist is adequately knowledgeable about the technique that they can compose and manipulate the imagery and effects the technique uniquely makes possible. Very few artists using holography did/do this. They simply make holograms of their sculpture. Essentially shadowboxes, another technique. Or they do assemblage, another technique, presented via the technique of holography.
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

I agree, Bob. It's just that different people are coming from different directions, so to speak. An artist would tend to use the word "medium" to include everything that provides the interaction between the artist and viewer. So to my thinking, the "medium" of sculpture would include the final material result, in addition to all the other processes that went into it (i.e., all the technique). A technologist would think in terms of technique, and artist would think in terms of a medium.

I would say that technique is a prerequisite to any successful "medium." Of course, you could have a technically superb hologram, but it could fail utterly as a medium (and they almost invariably do). This is not to say that these holograms purport to be anything other than what they are. Personally, I'm very interested in the technical side of things, probably like everyone else on this forum. But I think we should clearly understand that we represent a small group of "technologists" so to speak, and when we delve into the artistic side of things, the rules change. The technique is taken for granted, and it becomes a question of how well the artist works with the medium.
BobH

Post by BobH »

I understand your point, Joe. I just think this sort of confusion over the meaning of words like "medium" or "technique" is what is partially responsible for the failure of most holographic artwork to make a uniquely holographic statement, beyond the mere fact that an image is presented holographically. OK, it's 3-D. So what? OK, it projects out into the room. So what? What's that got to do with the composition? :shock: :? :P

Holography is typically very technical. Few artists have the knowledge, experience and/or personality traits to be successful with it, technically. Few technicians have the patience, creativity and/or drive to make a statement with their work. Few artists can tolerate the restrictions of the process as practiced for optimum technical results. Few technicians can tolerate the wildly unrealistic concepts that artists lay on them, especially those who haven't done their homework on the basics of technical or creative holography. That's why we get artists making basic holograms at best, and technicians making stabs at art. No wonder the "art world" doesn't like what they've seen of "holographic art".
Joe Farina

Post by Joe Farina »

Well said, Bob, that pretty much sums it up.

As you indicated, the problems run very deep, far beyond any confusion over the words "technique" and "medium."
Defiant Nun

Post by Defiant Nun »

Hi you folks,
Yes I am an artist fascinated by the possiblities of holography as a fine art form. I spend all my time making art and actually study the composition of holograms all the other time. My favorite holographer of all time is larry lieberman, because he is a genious who touched the lives of so many artists. A true collaberator and a brilliant scientist and one hell of a nice guy. I wish I had the money for a holo lab and had studied it in my younger days, or had the time to study everything about it now. I understand the most basic aspect of it, and I know how to make a very cool model that would work well in the style of art that I do. I believe that holography is due for a bigger and better revival in fine art. I may be wrong, but if not I want to be involved for sure. Most artist don't have the time or the money to learn all about holography.Probably alot of holographers don't have the time to make art all the time. I believe that collaberation between an artist and a holographer is very possible. To be both is really really hard. An artist/holographer like Mr Lieberman is not a common thing. And yet he worked with so many other artists and helped them with their visions. I really appreciate your views on this and thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. If there's anyone out there that wants to talk art project send me a message please.
thanks again for the responses
DN
Dutchelm05

Post by Dutchelm05 »

How exciting Nun,
I wish you luck.
May I say there are several excellent holographers on this forum to choose from. I wish I was up to their level :)

May I ask a few questions:

What can holographry help you convey as far as artist expression?

What do you see lacking as far as art in holograms you have seen?

Can you help us here on the forum if we wish to get some artist direction? I.e comment on the gallery (were we post our holograms and offer suggestions and ideas.

Again best of luck,
Tony