Introduction/ Questions

Starting point for beginners questions.
hkvietok

Introduction/ Questions

Post by hkvietok »

Hello everyone,
My name is Henry and I am a high school student in Colorado, USA. I am currently doing a research project on holograms for one of my classes. I have found various pages on the web for information on holograms but I still had a few clarifying questions that I hope you all may be able to answer.

First off, say you were to have a hologram of a house that you could walk around and view from all angles (I believe this would be a real image hologram). Is there a way that you could walk inside of the hologram house and view the insides? Or even if it was something much more simple like a box with a door, could you be on the "inside" of the hologram box and view what the inside looks like?

Another way to phrase this would be: Are real image holograms hollow or are they "filled in"? Hope that makes sense to you all.

Second, if this technology is available, what would the price/practicality be? Is it well developed or just a far out concept?

Thank you all for your time into helping me understand these concepts.
a_k

Introduction/ Questions

Post by a_k »

Hello hkvietok and welcome to the forum. Holograms are, as all imaging methods using visible light, restricted to the surfaces of solid, non transparent objects for recording. For the reconstruction of a hologram you need a light source in front or behind the hologram. So, if you want to view a hologram, the path of the light source may not be obstructed. If you want to "enter" a hologram, either you or the hologram is in the way. You can not enter and walk around in a hologram
jsfisher

Introduction/ Questions

Post by jsfisher »

Also hello hkvietok and welcome.

You may have a concept for holograms that has been grossly misshaped by, for example, the first Star Wars movie where R2D2 projects a 3-D image of Princess Leia. Light doesn't work that way; it doesn't simply change direction without reflecting off of something.

A normal photograph is a recording of an image of an object focused onto the film. A hologram, on the other hand, is a recording of the pattern of light from an object, not its image. Well, the light needs to be coherent, and it is actually the recording of an interference pattern of the light from an object interferring with a reference light beam.

A curious thing about the interference pattern is that if you supply the reference light beam, the light will defract to reproduce the original light pattern from the object. In other words, shine the right sort of light on it and hologram becomes a "window" through which you can "see" the object in all its 3-D splendor.

It is all rather spectacular -- and a not unreasonable hobby to take up if you have the interest -- but it is not the sort of projected image you seemed to be describing.

Hope that helps and enjoy your stay at the holoforum.
World's worst holographer
jsfisher

Introduction/ Questions

Post by jsfisher »

Henry,

Come on back and talk to us. We don't bite, honest.
World's worst holographer