Buzzing HeNe laser

Starting point for beginners questions.
thycore

Buzzing HeNe laser

Post by thycore »

I started up a laser with a fresh new power supply (genuine from manufacturer), and when starting up the laser would emit some light, but buzzing at the same time, like a neon tube which would not fully switch on, it sounds like it "trying".

Is it safe to let the tube "warm up" in this condition and hope for it to finally "boot up" ? or is the tube dead ?

Video of laser/noise : https://youtu.be/Glayjz9_wb8
thycore

Re: Buzzing HeNe laser

Post by thycore »

Just to close this subject, the problem was the laser required a bit more than its regular 11mA current to keep stable.
Lasos GmbH was very kind to provide me with their engineers support to confirm 142laser's diagnosis ;-) unfortunately the standard power supply for this laser cannot have a variable current and is fixed to 11mA.

I finally ordered a laser from a very hard to find Ukrainian company, which I hope will work sweetly !
Valery

Post by Valery »

What is the length of the resonator tube? It is possible that the power supply operates in the ignition mode. not enough working current 11 ma for work.I don’t recommend it for a long time, the power supply may burn or a high voltage will be blown somewhere, and then a high voltage will constantly break through in this place.
Mellero

Post by Mellero »

Can you PM me the name that Ukranian company, Thycore? I'd love to check them out. I'm in the market for a new laser currently.
These mini excavators perform really well for most of the stuff.
142laser

Post by 142laser »

I have several 20 mW class HeNe's for sale, mostly JDS 1145P. Two new old stock heads 24 mW. We also have 35 mW lasers Spectra Physics and Melles Griot. American made, hard sealed no leak. Best, Phil (142laser)
thycore

Post by thycore »

thycore wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:09 am Just to close this subject, the problem was the laser required a bit more than its regular 11mA current to keep stable.
Lasos GmbH was very kind to provide me with their engineers support to confirm 142laser's diagnosis ;-) unfortunately the standard power supply for this laser cannot have a variable current and is fixed to 11mA.

I finally ordered a laser from a very hard to find Ukrainian company, which I hope will work sweetly !
RIP Ukrainian laser, today more or less 1 year after the first setup it appears to have died.

Symptoms are : at start-up it lases for a few seconds then it fades down to just residual blueish glow out of cavity/Brewster. ( tube still emits yellow-orange lateral light )

I would believe it’s more a problem with the power source which fails to « keep the pace », maybe because tube somehow aged meanwhile. Any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this little monster :-) ?
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

Some of its Helium may have diffused out. You could try putting it in a bag full of Helium and running it for a couple of days. Some of the outside Helium may diffuse back in. Good luck.
thycore

Post by thycore »

That’s a brilliant idea xD although i’ll have to find a bag which can trap helium tight enough :-) will try this