Time between exposure and development?

Starting point for beginners questions.
Nnnn

Time between exposure and development?

Post by Nnnn »

Does the time between exposure and development of a hologram affect its overall brightness/image quality?

I don't live by myself, and usually am very restricted on time on top of that. I think that if I were able to use one day to expose holograms and then develop on another (or even just make a series of exposures and then develop them all at the end) it would be a lot easier for me to find time to make them.

Is it fair to do either of these things, or should I develop plates immediately after exposure? If it is safe to wait a little while before development, could I use any photography light-proof black bag, or is there something particularly recommended to avoid damaging the emulsion?

Thanks for your time and help.
holomaker

Re: Time between exposure and development?

Post by holomaker »

If it were your first hologram, I would shoot and develop until you got a good hologram, then shoot, one put it in a box and develop the next day.... need to get the first one as a bench mark.
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I routinely develop Ultimate plates a day or more after exposure. I had one that I developed eight months later.
Nnnn

Post by Nnnn »

These are great answers, thank you both for your help! I guess while I'm at it, I had one more question regarding storing exposed plates. I understand that it's best to keep unexposed plates in the fridge and take them on the morning of the day of exposure, but does that apply to exposed but undeveloped plates as well?
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I have never refrigerated any films or plates.