Glass Cleaning

Dichromated Gelatin.
TonyDCG

Re: Glass Cleaning

Post by TonyDCG »

Yes true, Acetone I believe has less residue

Say one last thing Steven, do you strip used film in a particular way?

I've tried pure bleach or sometimes 10% Muriatic Acid with OK results. But sure would like a better method.

Thanks again

Tony
Steven

Post by Steven »

TonyDCG wrote:Yes true, Acetone I believe has less residue

Say one last thing Steven, do you strip used film in a particular way?

I've tried pure bleach or sometimes 10% Muriatic Acid with OK results. But sure would like a better method.

Thanks again

Tony
Hi Tony,

I just use a weak solution of hot caustic soda.
I let it sit for a while and the old coating just falls away.

I lay the glass face up in an old photo developing tray and pour the hot caustic soda on top.
If I have several sheets to do, I just pull out the ones that are done and place the next ones in the tray.
I don't bother to reheat the caustic soda. it still works, but it's not as fast.

I sometimes reuse the glass for coating after it has had another soak in HCl,
but other times I just cut it down to my usual cover glass size of 5" x 7", so it doesn't go to waste.

Steven.
Success through failure - the amateur DCG holographer's path to enlightenment.
Din

Post by Din »

To quantify the result, the two of you may be interested in this: https://prezi.com/rz8q_jockfxb/the-effe ... n-gelatin/

I wonder if the creation of bubbles may not speed up the process. The NaOH and/or the HCl forms coacervates of gelatin, the bubbles then act to lift and separate them, allowing easier removal (yes, I know it sounds like an ad for a item of cloithing!). Anyway, perhaps some bicarb of soda and a little vinegar added to the mix.