Color shifting

Dichromated Gelatin.
Johnfp

Color shifting

Post by Johnfp »

You could keep all parameters exactly the same as the orange and used KDi instead of AmDi ;-)

The reasoning as Jeff B stated, is the AmDi releases ammonium as you process it in the fixer. This takes matter away naturally causing a little shrinkage. The KDi does not.
Tony

Color shifting

Post by Tony »

Hey John,
Good to hear from you!

Yes you are right. However, I am not so sure this is how the Rollison group did it.

Hope to play around somemore soon.

Tony
holomaker

Color shifting

Post by holomaker »

hi Tony and the rest! this looks like you have made red and green sucessfully on one plate! what was your final method?
Tony

Color shifting

Post by Tony »

Gee Dave, I wish.

This was a Rollison hologram I bought a while ago.
I was trying to reverse engineer it and see how they did it.

I didn't get a chance to shoot this weekend bummer

I posted the photo to show that this was truely red and not shifted by a longer angle as far as I can tell.

Tony
Ed Wesly

Color shifting

Post by Ed Wesly »

I hazily remember Rich Rallison (not Rollison) and some member of his group, Jerry Heidt, coming to LFC and talking about dual wavelength exposures to get the dual color replay. I might have some materials in the way of classroom handouts regarding this stunt, not sure when I will be able to unearth them.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Kiffdino

Color shifting

Post by Kiffdino »

Tony

Color shifting

Post by Tony »

Thanks Kiffdino,

What does 30sec in 1HAB mean? I am guessing alcohol bath but what is 1H mean?

Red-- mix 3-30-250 using Potassium Dichromate spin on at 80-90 RPM, expose single beam 90-100 mj\cmE2 @ 514 if RH = 60% and T = 70 F. Process: develop 5 min., rinse, 30 sec in 1HAB @ 120 F and .86 SG. Dry with slow pull from LHAB followed by hot air. Color should be bright Red-Orange.

Ed I will work on my poor spelling ;)
If you happen to stumble on those paper it would be appreciated!
dannybee

Color shifting

Post by dannybee »

Tony wrote:Thanks Kiffdino,

What does 30sec in 1HAB mean? I am guessing alcohol bath but what is 1H mean?

Red-- mix 3-30-250 using Potassium Dichromate spin on at 80-90 RPM, expose single beam 90-100 mj\cmE2 @ 514 if RH = 60% and T = 70 F. Process: develop 5 min., rinse, 30 sec in 1HAB @ 120 F and .86 SG. Dry with slow pull from LHAB followed by hot air. Color should be bright Red-Orange.

Ed I will work on my poor spelling ;)
If you happen to stumble on those paper it would be appreciated!
http://alt.xmission.com/~ralcon/dcgprocess/p1.html
A near ideal tuning bath has a specific gravity of .86 when it is warmed to about 55 degrees C
Joe Farina

Color shifting

Post by Joe Farina »

Hi Tony, these are some photos of an old two-color DCG pendant. I don't know who made it. The seas are either blue or green depending on angle, and the land is whitish or whitish/reddish. When the sea is blue, the land is whitish, but when the sea is green, the land tends to be reddish. Does anyone happen to know who made this hologram? It was bought quite a few years ago in Chicago.
Attachments
PB020001.JPG
PB020001.JPG (34.09 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
PB020003.JPG
PB020003.JPG (34.05 KiB) Viewed 5650 times
Tony

Color shifting

Post by Tony »

Hey Joe,

I have this one as well. This is one of many that Rallison from a company Rallison had started. The one you have may not be by Rallison himself but the group he started in the 80's. I have some that are in raw form (meaning not cut into a pendents yet). They are really remarkable.

It is a great example of what I was asking in that it is true red and seems to be on the same reference angle as the green/blue.

Thanks Danny on your comments, good to hear from. I would imagine that the way the gelatin is processed i.e shinkage rate is important.