Ph and warm water

Dichromated Gelatin.
Martin

Ph and warm water

Post by Martin »

Dinesh wrote:Regarding the gelatin in the tray effect , I've just spoken to Don Broadbent, who some of you may know. Don is the Jedi Master of dcg holography, as far as 'm concerned! Anyway, he says that he does see gelatin at the bottom of the water tank when he's cleaning it out. But, since I use running water, we figured that I don't see it because my water tray is being constantly "flushed".
Thank you very much for posting this and thanks to the Jedi Master also...
Tony

Ph and warm water

Post by Tony »

Dinesh wrote:For instance, if you were to change the pH of your first water bath, then, unless you absolutely dried the plate inside and out, when you immerse the plate in the first (usually dilute) alcohol, you carry the pH of the water into the alcohol bath. This may affect the ability of the alcohol to dehydrate and the change in water pH has now a secondary, knock-on effect
a_k wrote:With a water bath having a pH of 5 i would expect a more narrow band result with your gelatin than with a pH of 9
So would these statements indicate that the pH of the IPA/H2O mixes is also a consideration (as already posted)? Would a lower pH mixed with IPA aid in the removal of water from the gelatin?

I understand there are many variables in DCG and how interconnected things are. Since I cannot make DCG holograms everyday, the next best thing is thinking about them. It is sort of like Victoria's Secret super models :D
Johnfp

Ph and warm water

Post by Johnfp »

Since I cannot make DCG holograms everyday, the next best thing is thinking about them. It is sort of like Victoria's Secret super models
Such a shame you can't make Victoria's Secret super models everyday. Maybe if you gave up holography you'd have more time for the supermodels. ;-)
Dinesh

Ph and warm water

Post by Dinesh »

Tony wrote:So would these statements indicate that the pH of the IPA/H2O mixes is also a consideration (as already posted)? Would a lower pH mixed with IPA aid in the removal of water from the gelatin?
I don't know for sure and I am speculating here.However, the hydroxyl group makes the alcohol molecule polar and , I'm assuming, this is the cause of it absorbing water. The polar water molecule attaches itself to the end of the polar hydroxyl on the alcohol molecule. If this is so, then any free H+ lying around may be preferentially attracted to the polar end of the alcohol and so inhibit it from attracting any water molecule. Thus, it would seem that the lower the pH of the water, ie the more acidic the water, the less is the dehydrating effect of the alcohol. As I say, this is speculation.
Tony wrote:the next best thing is thinking about them. It is sort of like Victoria's Secret super models
You think about Victoria's Secret supermodels,. I'll think of her http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm ;)