Boiling holograms!

Dichromated Gelatin.
manalokos

Boiling holograms!

Post by manalokos »

Hello!

I was playing around with redevelopment of DCG plates, and left one of my plates on the oven baking,
for fun I put a drop of water on it and let it slowly evaporate, I interrupted the process before it totally evaporated
and re-developed the plate, the original hologram was weak and a bit narrowband, whenI re-developed it
I noticed a bright spot on the place the drop of water was before, and a dark rim, where the water evaporated.
So I grabbed the plate and put it in a pan in boiling water for a short time, and re-developed it again,
the hologram looked much brighter and broadbander, so I pushed to the limit and boiled it some more to see
where it would go! Of course it was too much, I got a bradband milky hologram with black pits everywhere due to too much boiling.
Shells
Shells
So I tried it again more carefully in a small holo I made of a tiny buddha statue I bought in Varanasi, I was frustrated with it before because
it was dim and narrowband, shifting a bit too much to the blue, I heated water until it boiled, took it out of the heat source and then dropped the plate inside,
left it there for 60 seconds, and put it into ambient temp water. I re-developed it and I got a much more broadband and brighter result!
Buddha before boiling
Buddha before boiling
Buddha after boiling
Buddha after boiling
I don't know if you have already tried this, butI think it is a great process to shift the holograms to broadband or back to narrowband!
What do you think?

Best regards
Filipe
holomaker

Boiling holograms!

Post by holomaker »

generally an easy method to broadband you holograms is to process (or reprocess) as usual, then befor the ALC baths, soak your hologram in soapy warm water and also skip the 70% alch bath and go into the 90% then the heated 99%, that should broadband you hologram. i think maybe the budda's film was too thin? looks great Filipe !
Martin

Boiling holograms!

Post by Martin »

holomaker wrote:generally an easy method to broadband you holograms is to process (or reprocess) as usual, then befor the ALC baths, soak your hologram in soapy warm water!
...which will rise the pH and thus increase gelatin swelling...