What do you think?

Dichromated Gelatin.
Tony

What do you think?

Post by Tony »

I am tempted to buy this on e-bay but wanted to know what any of the DCG gurus thought (if there are any out there still ;) )
I was thinking of using it to check out film moisture (or dryness). I am thinking it was measuring the resistance between the probes. It may not be an absolute value but maybe a relative one. Using distilled water might mess things up and who knows what the gel or the AmDi will do to it, but it might be interesting. Maybe using a DVM would do the same thing??

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Digital-Wood-Mo ... 23120de154

Any thoughts???
Dinesh

What do you think?

Post by Dinesh »

Well, one thought is that a typical emulsion is about 10 microns thick. Is this thick enough for the probes to read anything? Perhaps, you might try to throw a few crystals of (baked) desiccant, such as Cobalt Chloride, into the gelatin before you coat. The rate of colour change will give you an idea of the drying rate.
kyodai

What do you think?

Post by kyodai »

I have doubts that you would get any read out at all. A typical emulsion layer is just way too thin to really "dig" the electrodes into it deep enough to get proper contact. I fear you'd get the same readout as for thin air. besides you'd probably damage the emulsion trying to hold it tight against the film/plate.
Jeffrey Weil

What do you think?

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Here's the real kicker. Even if you did manage to get good contact with the gelatin, which I doubt could be done, the unit is calibrated for wood. Not emulsion's. Even if you did get a repeatable reading, it would be incorrect.

Jeff W
Tony

What do you think?

Post by Tony »

Thanks all
Dinesh wrote:few crystals of (baked) desiccant, such as Cobalt Chloride
I think this is a good idea but I think to revert from pink (wet) to blue again it I think it needs to be baked out. I doubt if film sitting in an RH of 30-40% would be enough to turn it back to blue. They recconmend like 300 degrees for around an hour. But it might be worth a try. FYI I use a microwave on these guys and that works pretty well.
kyodai wrote:I have doubts that you would get any read out at all.
That might be true and I worried about this too. I think it is reading the resistance of water a few microns might not be enough to register. The good news its on glass and therefore the only thing to read is air and/or water. I would not measure center of the plate rather the edge.
Jeffrey Weil wrote:Even if you did manage to get good contact with the gelatin, which I doubt could be done, the unit is calibrated for wood
Yes very true, I would have used it as a relative reading, going from wet to dry. It is so hard to tell with DCG if film ready. Normally you just have to shoot it and pray.

Hey just a thought:)