Ye Old Red Sensitive DCG

Dichromated Gelatin.
a_k

Ye Old Red Sensitive DCG

Post by a_k »

Jeff Blyth's / Zhu's systems are supposed to achieve a higher sensitivity, 30-50mJ/cm2 and allow sensitisation to more than one colour. G307 improves the intrinsic DCG sensitivity to green, it does not employ a dye.
Joe Farina

Ye Old Red Sensitive DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

jsfisher wrote:Doesn't DCG sensitized with the G307 formulation fall in the 5-20 mJ/cm^2 range? If so, are the xanthene dyes all that interesting, still?
If you've taken the trouble to experiment with G307 you'll know it's not the simplest thing in the world. On the other hand, just adding some R6G is simple. Here are some quotes from the paper: "The best results were obtained with a film made from a 5% aqueous solution of gelatin, with 10% ammonium dichromate (by weight of dry gelatin) and a thickness of 30 microns....The addition of the dye can be accomplished in any of a number of ways. In our case, various quantities of a 0.1% aqueous solution of Rhodamine 6G were introduced into a DCG solution. We found that the best results were obtained with a dye concentration of 7.5 mg/l of DCG solution....We also found that the sensitivity of DCG at 543.5 nm (He-Ne laser) in the presence of xanthene dyes -- Rhodamine 6G and Erythrosin B -- is approximately the same as the sensitivity of pure DCG at 514.5 nm (Ar-ion laser)."
Tony

Ye Old Red Sensitive DCG

Post by Tony »

Have you ever tryed this Joe? Or G307?
Joe Farina

Ye Old Red Sensitive DCG

Post by Joe Farina »

No, but I've read the papers and descriptions. Why do you ask Tony?
Tony

Ye Old Red Sensitive DCG

Post by Tony »

No reason, it just appeared a pretty easy way of getting full color.
Getting 60j/cm2 with a normal hene seems like a tall order. I know you were looking for high power red so I thought maybe it was for this.
Also 30um thick is pretty thick for DCG.
So the higher pH is used to keep the methylene-blue from coming out of solution. Interesting

I wish I had more time to try stuff like this out. Come on lotto :mrgreen: