Gelatin Question

Dichromated Gelatin.
Tony

Gelatin Question

Post by Tony »

I have two gelatins I am going to compare. One is a powder form the other granule. I measure the same amount and added to the same amount of water.
The powder form sucked up the water quicky while the granule one took a long time to gel. OK that might make sense. But when heating them, the granule form melted much quicker. And it even looks like the powder version is thicker is viscosity. They are both the same bloom.

Any ideas?

Happy Holiday all (even to you Brits ;) )
Johnfp

Gelatin Question

Post by Johnfp »

Extraction
After preparation of the raw material, i.e., reducing crosslinkages between collagen components and removing some of the impurities such as fat and salts, partially purified collagen is converted into gelatin by extraction with either water or acid solutions at appropriate temperatures. All industrial processes are based on neutral or acid pH values because though alkali treatments speed up conversion, they also promote degradation processes. Acid extract conditions are extensively used in the industry but the degree of acid varies with different processes. This extraction step is a multi stage process, and the extraction temperature is usually increased in later extraction steps. This procedure ensures the minimum thermal degradation of the extracted gelatin.

Recovery
This process includes several steps such as filtration, evaporation, drying, grinding, and sifting. These operations are concentration-dependent and also dependent on the particular gelatin used. Gelatin degradation should be avoided and minimized, therefore the lowest temperature possible is used for the recovery process. Most recoveries are rapid, with all of the processes being done in several stages to avoid extensive deterioration of the peptide structure. A deteriorated peptide structure would result in a low gelling strength, which is not generally desired.

I would have to say, at first I was like, there should be no difference at all, then after researching a little and thinking about it, it may be that it was not simply that the powder was ground more then the granulars but that they were extracted in a different way. That would give different properties even if bloom was the same. Read above.