Darkness I see, Darkness*:)

Dichromated Gelatin.
msxc

Post by msxc »

Hi!

I'm still fighting with quality of recording SBR DCG holograms, having some slow progresses with getting rid of milkiness(credits for help to holomaker here).
In the process I made some interesting observations- some just to share and some that I would like to understand better(forum gurus are needed;-)).

1)DCG forgives a lot!
When trying Dip-N-Shot plates I let one plate to dry not protected from light(poor coating so why to bother). After ~30min under the spot LED light I decided to expose it just for trying and surprise, surprise(?). Nice brightness+ a lot of milkiness (due to processing?). Since that I have relaxed about the "safe light" with DCG;).

2)SBR should be tried only with bright and reflective objects(general rule isn't it?), but I see also quite interesting things. In latest tried hologram I see no real milkiness but beside that There is also quite nice holographic recording of the dark steel table. Table is painted with black matte paint and visible. Would that mean that it is reasonable to try also dimmer objects?

Greetings,
Marcin

*citation from nice(best so far) polish sci-fi comedy "sexmisja"

Picture and short videos where glimpse of background should be visible:
shell.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5CvbnlR ... e=youtu.be
[youtube]l5CvbnlRsMc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

Compare the dark table with your object. Do you want your hologram to come out as bright as the dark table or your object? You can shoot a less "reflective" object but you may not get the brightness up to what you want.
msxc

Post by msxc »

Yes,

Somehow I expected that shell will "float" in the air:) Would that brightness mean that I'm approaching brightness limit? It is hard to know it without experience and having some reference at hand. Anyway- I will have now better view on how to choose the objects- some less reflective(not as extreme as black painted off-course) objects that I didn't consider for SBR trials.

Marcin
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

Very nice Holo. What laser did you use. It just says 100mw in the youtube video.
msxc

Post by msxc »

Thanks Kiffdino:) (I like it to as a sign of progress, shame that following holograms not so bright :? )
The laser is JDS 532nm DPSS puppy, tuned by holomaker.
Marcin
Tony

Post by Tony »

You've made a major discovery in DCG Marcin. The art of inconsistancy. From here on out (if you choose to continue down the rabbithole) is all of the variables that can ruin a hologram. As time goes on you will control the varibles and your sessions of crappy holograms will also reduce but never go away.

The good news is that there is still a few good gurus still on this forum that you can ask questions to :D
Best of luck
Tony