H2O Image

Dichromated Gelatin.
Dinesh

H2O Image

Post by Dinesh »

I never actually met Rallison, except briefly at an SPIE meeting where he had a booth at the exhibition around about 2000 or thereabouts. I got into dcg HOEs because I was on the team making laser protection goggles, first at NTS, then at POC. These are notch filters (yes, Ed, the word was used by us at NTS!) that deflect laser wavelengths at very high efficiencies, but allow standard white light with very high clarity. The other group(s) making the laser protection goggles were Kaiser and, I think, Hughes Research. There may have been others, but I wasn't aware of them. Anyway, we used Don Broadbent as a technical consultant for a while, but mostly, we figured out all the dcg stuff by trial and (a lot of!) errors. We knew about the small medallions that Rallison had made, but we thought that display dcg had no relevance to what we were doing. At POC, we were shooting some of Augie Muth's H2s on dcg, but again, that was a sideshow. I was the PI for the laser protection goggles and, if memory serves, Chris Rich was shooting the Augie pieces as well as working with me on the laser protection goggles amidst other stuff. However, the real science and engineering was dedicated towards the notch filters and we weren't aware of Rallison as a dcg HOE holographer.
Ed Wesly

H2O Image

Post by Ed Wesly »

Kind of interesting that the management team at POC didn't keep their ears to the ground and were aware of who was their competition! But then again, that's POC, which I have heard stands for Piece of Cr*p! (Got that from the great Steve Kupiec, who worked there forever!)
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
kyodai

H2O Image

Post by kyodai »

Actually an interesting discussion although i don't understand all terms used here.

I always wondered about this as when i made my first hologram I looked at it when it was still wet and could only see it when light from the back was passing through, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTl47uEPicU

The dried one then finally is visible from reflected light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdncm-B6SE