Perhaps the Dumbest Question in Forum History

Dichromated Gelatin.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb a** question. :oops:

We all know the RBG color primary colors chart showing the circles of the three primary colors intersecting and producing a component of those three colors.

If I shot a DCG hologram and processed it green, then shot a second plate (reversing the film facing up toward the reference beam) and processed it blue. Then gluing the two plates together (matching the fringes) would I get a different color? According to the color chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model it should be like cyan. Are the colors additive?

If I produced all three color (of equal intensity, brightness) would I make a white hologram?

Thanks
Tony
Seventh Son

Post by Seventh Son »

Without a doubt it will work. The order you stack your shots play a significant role in the final color. for instance If you stack your blue shot behind your red shot the red shot will dominate the blue and you won't get a satisfying magenta.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Good to see you on the forum again seventhson.

So just to push my luck...... When you make a yellow hologram and place a blue hologram would you get green?

I am thinking yellow may not really be yellow (right?). Is yellow like green/red?

So all this being said if you can make a full color hologram??
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

As I have said many times, absolutely no question is dumb. Question are one of our primary ways of gaining knowledge.
I tend to think of it this way.
Say we have a green reflection hologram. White light hits it and green is reflected while the other colors pass through. Now depending on the DCG hologram and processing it may not only reflect a single wavelength but a small to large range of greens. But we are not going to consider that for the moment. Now take a red hologram and put it behind the green hologram. The white light hits the green hologram and reflects green while passing the rest of the wavelengths. Those wavelengths now hit the red hologram and reflects the red wavelength(s). The rest of the wavelengths pass. So what your eye sees as a reflection off the hologram is some green light and some red light. This is perceived as yellow to our brains.

Seventh Son, so with your statement which makes sense as in my explanation above I did not take into consideration absorption and scatter and other variables, if you wanted to get that magenta, you would have to make the back hologram a little brighter then the front hologram, correct?

Or in you illumination of the hologram, you could use two LED's, one green and one blue, each on a variable intensity pot in which you could vary the intensity of each LED until that perfect magenta, as perceived by the artist, is achieved.
Seventh Son

Post by Seventh Son »

Johnfp is correct. I would make the back holos brighter than the front.I would also recommend stacking them from red to blue. Blue should always be the last color on the stack. It just doesn't penetrate the other colors very well.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

"When you make a yellow hologram and place a blue hologram would you get green?"

Could get white, since the yellow stimulates the R and G cones in the eye and the blue holo trips the third, so all 3 are firing for a neutral color.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols