Fix Time

Dichromated Gelatin.
Tony

Fix Time

Post by Tony »

I've been frustrated with my fix time over the last six months.
I use to use your basic Kodak fix with hardener for paper for years and hovered around 30 seconds.
Then something changed
Now I'm using a (suggestion from Dave) dilute fixer by a third or more but it still seems to clear very fast and shift blue. I'm like in the 10-15 second range now.
I tried light fixing too which works somewhat but hard to stay consistant.
Sunday morning I shot and got OK looking yellow/green holograms that I used to make a master. The next day, using the same fixer the were beyond blue. Temp was a bit warmer everything else the same (same energy object and baths)

Now for the disclosures. I keep my film in a cooler with some dissicant inside to keep them dry. Could that make them too hard?

Also, I've asked this before but how long does a dryed out plate sitting in a humid room take to swell? Meaning is it seconds, minutes hours or days?

I hope DCG has not gone the way of the Russian forum ;)
dannybee

Fix Time

Post by dannybee »

Tony wrote:I've been frustrated with my fix time over the last six months.
I use to use your basic Kodak fix with hardener for paper for years and hovered around 30 seconds.
Then something changed
Now I'm using a (suggestion from Dave) dilute fixer by a third or more but it still seems to clear very fast and shift blue. I'm like in the 10-15 second range now.
I tried light fixing too which works somewhat but hard to stay consistant.
Sunday morning I shot and got OK looking yellow/green holograms that I used to make a master. The next day, using the same fixer the were beyond blue. Temp was a bit warmer everything else the same (same energy object and baths)

Now for the disclosures. I keep my film in a cooler with some dissicant inside to keep them dry. Could that make them too hard?

Also, I've asked this before but how long does a dryed out plate sitting in a humid room take to swell? Meaning is it seconds, minutes hours or days? ;)
one simle test here try a plate without fix with a coin place on the plate as a object...if it comes out milky the film is ok then ajust fixing times to get the plate clear and where the coin is milky....hope this helps..this test helps me alot to get back on trak:D
holomaker

Fix Time

Post by holomaker »

Hi Tony, yup 3-Danny's got it, its a great test to use when "you get lost in woods" is what i call it ! Good luck and Tony, is it the same blue laser used as befor?
Tony

Fix Time

Post by Tony »

Many thanks guys

Yes Dave same laser

I will give it a try

Any speculation on what could be happening? Film aging? Old film need less fixing right?
dannybee

Fix Time

Post by dannybee »

Tony wrote:Many thanks guys

Yes Dave same laser

I will give it a try

Any speculation on what could be happening? Film aging? Old film need less fixing right?
old film will be clear (hard) ther is a process to use for hard films I will have to look it up.. but that process uses a acid to soften films... it works realy well from green holos
Tony

Fix Time

Post by Tony »

dannybee wrote:old film will be clear (hard) ther is a process to use for hard films I will have to look it up.. but that process uses a acid to soften films... it works realy well from green holos
Thanks Danny I will look forward to it.
dannybee

Fix Time

Post by dannybee »

heres the process :D
Attachments
holo3.jpg
Tony

Fix Time

Post by Tony »

Thanks Danny
Interesting