Adding alcohol to the gelatin?

Dichromated Gelatin.
jsfisher

Post by jsfisher »

Johnfp wrote:jsfisher,
do you filter the emulsion through a coffee filter or two after cooking? That usually take care of all the bubbles and any fine particles that would cause a pit in your final hologram.
Yes, I do filter the cooked gelatin. There is no foam and no bubbles at the start of my veil coating process, but with all the pouring from catch-tray back to applicator bottle, bubbles do form after a while. The bubbles really are much of a problem, either. It was just comment about alcohol being used in the commercial process that made me wonder about its use with home-made DCG plates.
World's worst holographer
Kiffdino

Post by Kiffdino »

hi,
im always using my gelatin only once. no refiltering. its a huge mess already, and so many things to pay attention to during coating. just make more gelatin in the first place, then there is no need to recycle. this might sound a bit wasteful but gelatin is not that expensive.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

Oh, I understand now. Ok, what I did was after I poured the spill over from my catch track back into the beaker for reusing, if there were any bubbles (and usually you can keep this minimal if you have any experience pouring beer into a glass so as to keep the head from overflowing) I would simply use a Q-tip (cotton swab) to push the bubble to the side, then roll the Q-tip to get the bubble to stick on the Q-tip.

But it would be cool to know if the alcohol did reduce those bubbles. Are you going to try it? If so, a report back would be fantastic.

John