Film Thickness

Dichromated Gelatin.
Johnfp

Film Thickness

Post by Johnfp »

Guys, you better stop and think of who the audience is on this forum.

I wasn't going to debate this but surely putting alcohol in somthing that has interlock switches, high voltage transformers, electric fans, light bulbs, magnetron and a variety of other electric switches and electronics is surely a bad scenareo waiting to happen. Sort of like filling you gas tank for you car while having a cell phone in your pocket. You only need the right about of alcohol vapor with the perfectly timed spark. Not to mention for beginners, over heating in a microwve is very easy to do.

I never debated this much other then stating I would not recommend it but now we have two people that are posting it is fine to use a microwave to heat isopropyl alcohol in a microwave on a public forum. I hope you all can live with yourself when someone gets hurt.

On the other hand, having a sealed electric wire in sealed plastic (a heating pad for your back) poses much less chance of spark in my humble opinion. It is regulated not to get too hot. Oh, and I dont ever, ever leave the thing uncoverd while heating. I keep it covered and only remove the lid for the short time I am processing each individual bath.

For the record, I PERSONALLY, no matter what others do or say, DO NOT RECOMMEND heating isopropyl alcohol, especially the 99%, in a Microwave.

You know, I had major debates when I build my fume hood that the vaport would go up and possible come into contact with the fan motor and ignite. So I designed a different way of venting. Maybe it is me, but I am extra careful.
Johnfp

Film Thickness

Post by Johnfp »

Well, shiver me timbers.
I was way off.
A hologram is considered to be thick if the thickness of the recording medium is greater than the spacing between the interference fringes. Otherwise the hologram is considered a thin hologram.

I know this is considered the norm for describing most holograms that are NON DCG, but has anyone tried to make a DCG that is thinner then the fringe spacing?
dannybee

Film Thickness

Post by dannybee »

Johnfp wrote:Guys, you better stop and think of who the audience is on this forum.

I wasn't going to debate this but surely putting alcohol in somthing that has interlock switches, high voltage transformers, electric fans, light bulbs, magnetron and a variety of other electric switches and electronics is surely a bad scenareo waiting to happen. Sort of like filling you gas tank for you car while having a cell phone in your pocket. You only need the right about of alcohol vapor with the perfectly timed spark. Not to mention for beginners, over heating in a microwve is very easy to do.

I never debated this much other then stating I would not recommend it but now we have two people that are posting it is fine to use a microwave to heat isopropyl alcohol in a microwave on a public forum. I hope you all can live with yourself when someone gets hurt.

On the other hand, having a sealed electric wire in sealed plastic (a heating pad for your back) poses much less chance of spark in my humble opinion. It is regulated not to get too hot. Oh, and I dont ever, ever leave the thing uncoverd while heating. I keep it covered and only remove the lid for the short time I am processing each individual bath.

For the record, I PERSONALLY, no matter what others do or say, DO NOT RECOMMEND heating isopropyl alcohol, especially the 99%, in a Microwave.

You know, I had major debates when I build my fume hood that the vaport would go up and possible come into contact with the fan motor and ignite. So I designed a different way of venting. Maybe it is me, but I am extra careful.
98% simple test try to lite it john.. very hard to do... I love myth buster john
holomaker

Film Thickness

Post by holomaker »

Johnfp wrote:I know this is considered the norm for describing most holograms that are NON DCG, but has anyone tried to make a DCG that is thinner then the fringe spacing?
yes i have, and i did it accidently too !

John you are quite right over the heated ALC issues, its better to never to heat Alc in any form, in the first place ! so lets drop the hazard issues :o
As i belive i stated prior, this is what i do and the results are as is ..............
Johnfp

Film Thickness

Post by Johnfp »

Ditto on the alcohol hazards issue.

So, how did the thin hologram turn out. What did it look like, act like etc?
holomaker

Film Thickness

Post by holomaker »

Johnfp wrote:Ditto on the alcohol hazards issue.

So, how did the thin hologram turn out. What did it look like, act like etc?
Ok as some know i coat via mold coating process , on this day i was making 4x5" plates with two shims along the 4" sides and then clamp them along the shimmed edges, only problem was i missed putting the shim along on side causing my plate to have a 10um to 0 um tapered coating. Then shot and processed as normal.

If correctly coated my hologram would be gold colored, as it turns out it was gold on the thickest side, then green, then blue, then ultra blue and then clear ....
Johnfp

Film Thickness

Post by Johnfp »

I bet you couldn't have designed a better test. Good info. Were you shooting in 514?
holomaker

Film Thickness

Post by holomaker »

532nm @ 100mw , i forget the exposuer times now .......... John you going to ISDH ?
Tony

Film Thickness

Post by Tony »

holomaker wrote:If correctly coated my hologram would be gold colored, as it turns out it was gold on the thickest side, then green, then blue, then ultra blue and then clear ....
but doesn't this fly in the face of what I was orginally asking?
I have found the same thing only in how I watered down my formulation. The thicker version was indeed yellow while the thinner was green blue.

I could fix the heck out of it and barely shift it green. When I repocessed it shifted blue but was very dim :shock:
holomaker

Film Thickness

Post by holomaker »

Tony wrote:
holomaker wrote:If correctly coated my hologram would be gold colored, as it turns out it was gold on the thickest side, then green, then blue, then ultra blue and then clear ....
but doesn't this fly in the face of what I was orginally asking?
I have found the same thing only in how I watered down my formulation.
Well if more water is added then the coating will dry thinner. Is this correct Tony?
After re-reading your question I think this agrees w/what you found?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.