Razors

Dichromated Gelatin.
Tony

Razors

Post by Tony »

I am always amazed how scaping away at post processed gelatin how it can dull a razor blade in nothing flat. It can take somewhere between 1-2 blades to trim a 5x7 hologram.

Are there any other effective way of doing this?

Also, I am amazed how some film runs are extremely difficult to srape off some emulsions come off the glass while others are easy. The odd thing is that there is no correlation between noise or brightness.
holomaker

Razors

Post by holomaker »

Hi Tony, ive found as im sure you have as well it's important to use only one side of the blade and this seems to help a bit, in talks w/Auggie he reccomended a slight moistining of the edges using a soaped mixture w/water to first soften the coating. I have found its actually easier on the blades to make a wider boarder as the razor has more contact w/glass preventing dulled spots on the razors edge. I'll let you in a secret I use to make large boarders as in the skull holo below. After the unexposed film is dried i apply a vinyl mask to the approxamate final size of my hologram and roll it out to exclude all air arround edges, then simply wash off the unexposed edges w/warm water and a soft scrubby, then a quick warm air blow dry, then remove the mask and after final processing ,trim an additonal 1/8 inch off the edges to clean things up a bit. The difference in the hardness of the film is due to many factors (you know this), soft is easy to remove and hard film is more difficult. I hope this helps !
Attachments
DCG holos Battin
DCG holos Battin
Tony

Razors

Post by Tony »

Many thanks Dave, I will try that out.
holomaker wrote:I'll let you in a secret I use to make large boarders as in the skull holo below
I promise I won't tell anyone ;)
Jeffrey Weil

Razors

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Dave,

Those holo's look great, why didn't you bring them to MIT????
holomaker

Razors

Post by holomaker »

Thanks Jeff, i didnt realise the freedom to display @ ISDH if i had known better i would have brought more! Recently the local library/gallery has contacted me about doing another display so ill be busy making more holos in preparation for it, so stay tuned on that one. I promise to bring much more to ISDH 2015 ! ;)
Tony

Razors

Post by Tony »

Thanks again Dave for the advise.
I tryed it last night and the soapy water worked like a charm.
It really saves a ton of time. I think that the stock price for razors will be dropping soon ;)
I guess that is why Augie is a true master

I agree with Jeff that the holograms look great!!

As related to the other post you made, you are indeed an artist!
Tom B.

Razors

Post by Tom B. »

So why does a thin layer of gelatin dull sharpened steel blades?
BobH

Razors

Post by BobH »

I'm thinking it's the edge of the glass that damages the blades, not the film.
holomaker

Razors

Post by holomaker »

Thanks Tony and Jeffery, I was suprised how freely Auggie shared his tips/tricks of his trade, when asking him about makeing masters, he said he dosent make them anymore, only one of a kind types now for big bucks! :D
Jeffrey Weil

Razors

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Yeah, he's given up the dicro pendents and stuff like that. He's only doing fine art now. MIT was probably the last chance to get a bolo from Augie.