DCG job

Dichromated Gelatin.
Johnfp

DCG job

Post by Johnfp »

I have an 8 x 10 silver H1 transmission master of a object that someone may want 5 - 20 DCG copies of. I quoted him a price of about $30 -$40 US per copy. The copy should be image planed 1/2 way though the object and can be a 4 x 5".

The masters are pretty bright with a small amount of noise but should be plenty good enough for this display work.

Anyone interested shoot me an e-mail.

holograms3d at yahoo dot com
Jeffrey Weil

DCG job

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Hello John,

I hope you don't mind me putting my 2 cents in but I think your charging too little for your dcg job. After you include the time to make the plates how many copies can you make on average in a day. 3-4 or so. At least perfect ones. Thats 120 to 160 for a full days work not including material costs. For an 8 hour day, thats less than 20 bucks an hour minus materials and equipment costs.

A pro holographer is worth more than that.

Here's another way to think about it, a custom hologram is worth much more than a stock image. How much is a 4x5 stock dcg worth. Probably more than the 30 to 40 bucks your charging for a custom run.

Jeff Weil
NorthBeach Holography Inc.
Joe Farina

DCG job

Post by Joe Farina »

John, I would have to agree with Jeffrey on this one. It's OK to quote a price if you're the person doing the work, but if someone else is doing it, they should be the one to quote it ;)
Johnfp

DCG job

Post by Johnfp »

Gentlemen, maybe I should have expressed this in a different way. And of course Jeffrey you opinion is always welcome. The artwork is done and the master is done. So even though this is a custom hologram, since the master is done not sure how it would differ from any other hologram copy you would make, even stock images. These guys do not expect a "prestine" hologram. They do not mind the color and if each hologram was a different color that would be fine as long as it didnt have green blotch and the like on it. Gold would be fine, and that seems the easiest to reproduce.

I guess what I should have asked is, is there any DCG amateurs out there the are producing holograms and not making any money off of it that would like to take this on as some suplimental income? I can think of a few that post here that may be interested and I sure did not want to sell short the professional holographers.

As I am an amateur holographer and make holograms just for fun, 30-40 a pop was what I was willing to do it for.

BTW, I gave him a approximate price, nothing was locked in. If one of you professionals want to do it, if you made one and I showed it to him with a set price, I would be willing to do that and he may go for it. Even if you said, 100 for the prototype and whatever per after that. I truely do not know how to price just the H2 4x5 copying.

Side note: Jeffery and Joe, do professional holographers only get 3 - 4 DCG copies per an 8 hour day. I would have assumed that once a refined technique was mastered that a DCG hologram could be put out every 20 - 30 minutes or so and even if you only got 50% addequate, that would be quite a bit more over $120 a day. I do understand the emulsion and coating fabrication need to be accounted for. Please do not take this as insulting in any way. So now I am confused on how even a stock hologram would be worth doing and sell for under $20. Like the DCG pendants. Or even Auggie's image planed pendants for $45.
Jeffrey Weil

DCG job

Post by Jeffrey Weil »

Sorry John,

I thought I was sending that message as a pm, not an out in the open post. Money issues like that should be private. I apologise.

Your right about a pro shop putting out more finished holograms than what I mentioned. I was thinking about the average home setup and perfect finished and sealed up holograms. Run by one person.

Jeff Weil
Johnfp

DCG job

Post by Johnfp »

It's all good.
;)
holorefugee

DCG job

Post by holorefugee »

Jeffrey Weil wrote:Sorry John,

I thought I was sending that message as a pm, not an out in the open post. Money issues like that should be private. I apologise.

Your right about a pro shop putting out more finished holograms than what I mentioned. I was thinking about the average home setup and perfect finished and sealed up holograms. Run by one person.

Jeff Weil

I am glad it was public. I learned something.

Thank you!