DCG on acetate

Dichromated Gelatin.
Joe Farina

DCG on acetate

Post by Joe Farina »

jsfisher wrote:I happen to have 100 or so sheets of acetate that have no other purpose in life anymore.
Just because something is approaching its end of life doesn't necessarily mean that it becomes attractive as a DCG substrate. My carpeting is old and worn, but I don't want to coat it with DCG.

Solid (glass) rods are a traditional method for coating photographic emulsion. Baker gives a good description of it (Photographic Emulsion Technique by T. Thorne Baker, Second Edition, American Photographic Publishing Co., 1948).
Dinesh

DCG on acetate

Post by Dinesh »

jsfisher wrote: Turns out that the acetate sheet with the best adhesion was also the one with the worst transmission of near ultra-violet.
Dcg has a very high absorption at near uv to uv. So, if your thickness was very high, the low absorption may be due to dcg absorption. Is it possible for you to shoot a coared plastic through an uncoated plastic to test this, ie whether the absorption is due to the plastic or the dcg?
dannybee

Re: DCG on acetate

Post by dannybee »

here is some interesting things I found out on this subject, some transparencies for ink jets have a fine coating of pva. also another way is to use litho film and fix out the coating, and coat on top of the hard gel, or use the hard gel and use the process for getting DCG holograms from hard gel. also there are some films that have a soft gel already on it like so-163 which will do dcgs very well, hope this give some new thinking in this subject