Master

Dichromated Gelatin.
Tony DCG

Master

Post by Tony DCG »

I was wondering.....

Say I make a nice master (out of DCG or silver) (Denisyuk) but as I tilt it I see there is a band of darkness (sounds like a movie) due to slight movement.

I decide to use it. I set the master plate down flat place another plate on top. And through the magic of holography I get a copy.

I tilt it. Will I see the dark band?

Thanks
Dinesh

Master

Post by Dinesh »

I think yes. But whether it's noticeable or not depends on the relative sizes of the master and the copy, the master-to-copy distance and the angle at which this dark matter shows up. When you make the H2, you're looking at the H2 through a "virtual window" of the H1. Now, if the H1 is very large, the H2 is very small and the copy-master distance is very small, then the dark matter exists, but you'd have to twist the copy plate by quite a bit to see the dark matter, at which point, the dark matter will appear to float in front of the copy, roughly where the original copy would have been.

The best way to actually determine this is to illuminate the master, place a sheet of glass above the master of the same size as the copy, then move your head until you see the dark matter. If you have to move your head quite aways, then it may not be immediately obvious on the copy.