neutralize unused ammonium dichromate for proper waste disposal

Dichromated Gelatin.
ahgu

neutralize unused ammonium dichromate for proper waste disposal

Post by ahgu »

I remember I read somewhere that I need to put something in the waste water to turn unused dichromate to harmless chromic salt, but could not find it anymore. Anyone has the reference or chemical to use to neutralize the dichromate?
holomaker

Re: neutralize unused ammonium dichromate for proper waste disposal

Post by holomaker »

Sodium metabisulfite, when it turns the solution blue, you know that it's through ! :D
Tony DCG

Post by Tony DCG »

Dave is right of coarse Sodium metabisulfite will make AmDi into a safer state but I would like you to consider that you are still dumping metals into the environment. I recommend that you dump as much AmDi into a container (milk jug like) and only use MS as the last clean up.
Once you have a few jugs of AmDi just take it to a hazardous waste site for proper disposal.

Treat AmDi as death when handling it and you will have peace of mind.

Good luck
ahgu

Post by ahgu »

How do they dispose the jug? Just dump to sewage and charge me a ton?
Tony DCG

Post by Tony DCG »

I'm not sure where you live but here in the great state of California it is free. My county has a site about 5 miles from me where I drop off used fixer and AmDi in gel and non-gel form.

I believe they pack all these chemicals and place them into a large container then bury it in a heavily lined hole that reduces the chances of leakage.

It might be just me but I'm ultra paranoid in dealing with this stuff. 25 years ago I bought AmDi in my first attempt in making a DCG hologram. The MSDS sheet did not say the chemical was harmful. In fact I knew people who would burn it to make a pretty orange flame and used no protection. Now the MSDS shows that it is harmful. Now what that means who knows. Does it mean you breathe in one piece of dust and your gone or prolong exposure over years. Why chance it.

Best of luck
Tony
ahgu

Post by ahgu »

Wow, that is nice for CA to have that for free. I will check my local dump site for more info.