1st time on DCG Project

Dichromated Gelatin.
Steven

Re: 1st time on DCG Project

Post by Steven »

admin_jsfisher wrote:The connector is on the wrong way. 180 degrees off.

ETA: Wait a minute. The beveled side of the connector should be down, which it is, but the cable is coming out the other side. Hmmm. This is very confused.
It looks to be on the correct way if you look at the photo of the original item on ebay.
I don't have a 215M, but I have the 315M.
On the 315M the cable does come out of the connector the other way, facing down.
However, the cable colour order on the 315M is:
Orange = furthest from output window.
Brown = closest to output window.
Which seems to be the same as that depicted in the ebay photo of the 215M.

Steven.
Success through failure - the amateur DCG holographer's path to enlightenment.
Steven

Post by Steven »

From sam's laser faq:

"However, there is an additional 2 pin header on the controller which may be labeled: "Autostart Jumper" or "Interlock Jumper".
It is between the DB15 and Digital Controller connector. With a jumper installed, the laser will start up automatically upon power-on
even without anything attached to the DB15. I believe it will default to maximum (100 percent) power."

Link: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserscl.htm#sclc215a

Steven.
pluto

Post by pluto »

Steven wrote:From sam's laser faq:

"However, there is an additional 2 pin header on the controller which may be labeled: "Autostart Jumper" or "Interlock Jumper".
It is between the DB15 and Digital Controller connector. With a jumper installed, the laser will start up automatically upon power-on
even without anything attached to the DB15. I believe it will default to maximum (100 percent) power."

Link: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserscl.htm#sclc215a

Steven.
Ah, thank you. I was confused by this:
Even this minimal setup isn't needed for the C215M controller since there is a jumper that enables automatic start up at full power without anything connected to the user interface DB15. The jumper position is to the right of the DB15 connector. CAUTION: There is also a two pin header next to the power connector, function unknown - DON'T put a jumper there!
The pins you shouldn't touch are to the /left/ of the P4 power connector. So Zeta seems to have hooked everything up correctly.

Zeta, did you at one point hook anything up backwards? Hopefully nothing was fried...

Please try the following and report back:

- Connect to the analog interface and get some data out. Measure the voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 14 (Power Monitor Output). You will get a voltage between 0-5V, representing 0-100% power.

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 4 (Laser Status). 0V = OFF, 5V = ON

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 5 (Laser Diode Overcurrent Status). 0V = OK, 5V = Diode Overcurrent (very bad)

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 6 (Thermal Control). 0V = OFF, 5V = ON (This must be ON for the laser diode to also be ON)

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 7 (Baseplate Overtemperature). 0V = OK, 5V = FAULT

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 12 (Heatsink Overtemperature). 0V = OK, 5V = FAULT

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 15 (Laser Ready). 0V = Not ready, 5V = Ready (power setpoint is within acceptable range)

I'm not sure that you'll get 5V on these pins, but anything that isn't close to 0V should signify TTL "HIGH"
Steven

Post by Steven »

Zeta wrote:
controller and laser head is a bit hot but still can touch

:? :? May be I need to wait longer.
The both the laser head and analogue controller should be mounted on heat sinks, they should not be hot to the touch!

The user manual states that warm up time should be less than 10 minutes.
If you look at the graph of the turn on characteristics, it should be up and running in under 2 minutes after power on.

Use a multimeter to confirm the voltage input to the analogue controller (measured at the controller DC input connector) when the laser is turned on. If you are using a thin or long cable from your power supply to the analogue controller, you may get a voltage drop.

You should see slight changes in the current consumption during the initial start up until the laser is stabilized.

Steven.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I use 12v 20A DC switching power supply and a regulator that convert it in to 5v 10A
S__24543282.jpg
S__24543282.jpg (757.89 KiB) Viewed 28953 times
Yes, I also use multimeter to confirm the voltage
S__24543283.jpg
S__24543283.jpg (869.56 KiB) Viewed 28953 times
So the next thing I need to do is use the multimeter to check like what pluto said on the orange arrow
- Connect to the analog interface and get some data out. Measure the voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 14 (Power Monitor Output). You will get a voltage between 0-5V, representing 0-100% power.

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 4 (Laser Status). 0V = OFF, 5V = ON

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 5 (Laser Diode Overcurrent Status). 0V = OK, 5V = Diode Overcurrent (very bad)

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 6 (Thermal Control). 0V = OFF, 5V = ON (This must be ON for the laser diode to also be ON)

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 7 (Baseplate Overtemperature). 0V = OK, 5V = FAULT

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 12 (Heatsink Overtemperature). 0V = OK, 5V = FAULT

- Measure voltage across pin 9 (GND) and pin 15 (Laser Ready). 0V = Not ready, 5V = Ready (power setpoint is within acceptable range)

I'm not sure that you'll get 5V on these pins, but anything that isn't close to 0V should signify TTL "HIGH"
Do I still need to put the jumper here at the green arrow?
S__24543286.jpg
S__24543286.jpg (1006.58 KiB) Viewed 28953 times
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I also have an update on my emulsion and post process. This mean I am on the right track right?

https://youtu.be/DL03OajScHM

100:12:3 using green 5mw pointer 10 min min expose
http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_0091_1.jpg
pluto

Post by pluto »

Zeta wrote:Do I still need to put the jumper here at the green arrow?
Yes, put the jumper there, let it warm up for 5 minutes (make sure everything is heatsinked) then take the analog readings.
Last edited by pluto on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Output from regulator is 5.00V 3.46A 17.43w

pin9 - pin14 = 0v
pin9 - pin4 = 3.9v
pin9 - pin5 = 0v
pin9 - pin6 = 4v
pin9 - pin7 = 0v
pin9 - pin12 = 0v
pin9 - pin15 = 0.1v
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It seems like my regulator doesn't function well. :( :(
I will update after I replace it.
pluto

Post by pluto »

Zeta wrote:It seems like my regulator doesn't function well. :( :(
I will update after I replace it.
pin 4 = laser status = ON
pin 6 = thermal control = ON
pin 15 = laser ready = OFF (!)

no laser ready... wait a minute, try connecting pin 1 to 11 to enable the interlock!

if you still have no luck, please get these readings
Pin 13 - Laser Power Setpoint. This analog signal ranges from 0 to +5 V corresponding to a selected power from 0 to the maximum spec'd power for the laser. This value must be entered into the controller's nonvolatile memory to become active.

Pin 14 - Power Monitor Output. Output voltage of 0 to 5 V indicates laser power from 0 to maximum spec'd value. When locked, the voltage on this pin should be similar to the power set-point. For accurate power readings, it will be necessary to calibrate this signal with respect to a known reference.