holographyforum.org

Discuss the old forum and how we would like to go on.
a_k

holographyforum.org

Post by a_k »

Hello everyone

I'm very sorry about the holographyforum's very sudden disappearance. To me it was very important to have a discussion platform about holography. This new forum was set up with the intention to have a meeting place again, without having to wait for too long. I thought it might be useful to discuss how to go on and how to fill the huge gap the holographyforum has left.

Ahmet
Joe Farina

holographyforum.org

Post by Joe Farina »

Thanks for making this platform available, Ahmet.
Colin Kamisnki

holographyforum.org

Post by Colin Kamisnki »

I will offer my two cents. Take the ideas you feel are useful.

1. Register a domain to an incorporated identity.
2. Have 24 hour moderation or hold posts till they are approved by a moderator.

or

1. Make the forum private so only members can view it.

Find at least 3 even handed moderators and agree on moderation rules. Have an attorney review the moderation policy.
Martin

holographyforum.org

Post by Martin »

a_k wrote:Hello everyone

I'm very sorry about the holographyforum's very sudden disappearance. To me it was very important to have a discussion platform about holography. This new forum was set up with the intention to have a meeting place again, without having to wait for too long. I thought it might be useful to discuss how to go on and how to fill the huge gap the holographyforum has left.

Ahmet

Thank you, Ahmet!
Martin

holographyforum.org

Post by Martin »

Colin Kamisnki wrote:I will offer my two cents. Take the ideas you feel are useful.

1. Register a domain to an incorporated identity.
2. Have 24 hour moderation or hold posts till they are approved by a moderator.

or

1. Make the forum private so only members can view it.

Find at least 3 even handed moderators and agree on moderation rules. Have an attorney review the moderation policy.

I never was a friend of a private holography forum but given the latest incidents it may be the only way to go. By the way, the ALT-PHOTO group, which may be similar in size as the holographyforum, still runs on a very archaic mailing process (LISTSERV). The entire mail traffic is being archived here: http://lists.altphotolist.org/pipermail ... cess-list/
True, it definitely doesn't involve the latest internet gadgets, but it may provide good protection from spam and legal claims. However, a private forum may always turn into kind of a "gated community". Perhaps, in order to avoid this (and to attract new members!) the website with the HOLOWIKI would need to be updated more regularly.
a_k

holographyforum.org

Post by a_k »

Colin, thank you for the legal advice.

Moderation means taking responsibility for each posting. To do that is not affordable for most private persons, including me. Having each posting approved delays the access to the information for all.

Forced membership, even to be able to read postings, is a quite drastic measure, which makes the access to the information difficult.

For the time being i'm prepared to bear the technical, administrative and legal burden of this forum. The aim is to provide the highest possible degree of freedom to express thoughts. No restrictions are part of the design. Spam and offending postings will be removed. Other than that, i'll comply with the swiss laws.

I don't like the commercial "social networks" and their motivations. The internet gives the possibility to organise oneself without having to be ruled externally. What i'm trying to offer is a place ruled by its participants. I gave the initial toss, feel free to co-decide where to go from here.

Ahmet
Wler

holographyforum.org

Post by Wler »

Let me thank too, Ahmet; but also Colin for his dedication over the years!

I find it a shame that a single person puts his personal interests over the one of a large community, and requests a termination of a large collaborative effort of many good-willing people, just for sake of this private struggles. I find this highly irresponsible. Thank you, Selwyn Lissack.
Jem

holographyforum.org

Post by Jem »

Hi Guys (and gals?)

Thanks for setting something up so quickly Ahmet, I was missing the daily read :D.

Colin, thank you sooo much for being at the front line for all these years with the 'original' holography forum, and for all the hard work and effort you put in, it was so sad it had to end the way it did.

Is there any chance that the archive of old posts (minus the obvious ones :roll: ) could be transported over here? Maybe you would be prepared to come to an arrangement whereby the domain name could be transferred/purchased so things could be pretty much put back to how they were?

Cheers

Jem
a_k

holographyforum.org

Post by a_k »

Hello Jem and welcome.

A first important step would be that all members know about the existence of this new meeting place. Colin was asked to place a link to here on his forum or to inform the members of the holographyforum per email. Let's see how this evolves first before considering a transfer of old posts. It would be great to have access to all the posts sometime soon, in whatever form.

Ahmet
John Sonley

holographyforum.org

Post by John Sonley »

Hi All - and thanks Jem for the nod on this new forum
Brgds

John