Green Film - Cost Vs Quality

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Jem

Post by Jem »

Hi all

I'm looking to get some 532nm green sensitive film on a Triacetate base.

I thought i'd have a look at the Ultimate-08 supplied by Gentet as it seems to have a good reputation, but looking on their website it costs 220 Euro's for 18 sheets of 5" x 4" film.

http://shop.ultimate-holography.com/pro ... product=12

I figured that was a little expensive so I had a look at the Geola VRP-M which also seems to have a good reputation. This sells for 129 Euro's for 50 sheets of 102mm x 127mm (or 5" x 4")

http://www.geola.lt/eshop/materials.php?uid=853373760

That's a huge price difference :shock:

Also, I'd like to have different sizes for making H1 master transmission holograms Vs H2 reflection holograms. My ideal size for the H1's would be 7" x 5", i'd then use 5" x 4" for the H2's.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what film they think represents good value for money please reply below, and also if any supplier offers 'custom' sizes as in 7" x 5" i'd be interested.

Cheers

Jem
ron olson

Post by ron olson »

It's early August and I try to avoid spending much time indoors but this week I had occasion to shoot a number (3 actually) of filmplates (film laminated onto glass using 2-sided adhesive films). The film is VRP-M (green sensitive) from GEOLA - we routinely purchase 14" wide by 10 or 20 meter long rolls. I have probably shot on Agfa plates as much as anyone and I have been a big advocate of Millimask for fifteen years; before that Ilford; and somewhere along the line Fuji. I am now willing to say that I have never used film that compares favorably to the current crop of VRP-M. The overall look (contrast and brightness) is really excellent and the decreased sensitivity seems to result in considerably reduced tendency for burns and overexposure - especially in the H2 process. Bernadette continues to be a distributor for GEOLA but our primary reason in reselling material is to keep abreast with anything new that comes down the pike. VRP-M is today the material of choice for Laser Reflections and I would urge anyone interested in serious holographic imaging to try the combination of Q-switched Nd:YLF or Nd:YAG lasers and this wonderful silver halide material. I shot (3) 18" x 14" H2's using 3 different large format H1 transmission masters. We always use Ed's/Han's SM-6 developer and PBU-Amidol bleach with Blythe colour-tuning or Sorbitol swelling to red-shift from green. This last batch of reflection H2's was among the best we've produced in 23 years and I felt compelled to let others know of our success - especially when so many out there seem to be forever bemoaning commercially available materials. Thank you Ramunas, Stas and Gidrius.
HoloM

Post by HoloM »

Hello Ron, can you give more Details about your Processing?

Especially the Color tuning processes ? What is Blythe tuning? And where can I read details about sorbitol tuning?
Valery

Post by Valery »

Hi.
I am ready to send the TAC film or PET for 532 or 633 nm
VE532M and VE633M (analog PFG-03M, VE633, VE532)
The price is now $ 12/ meter width of 12 cm. Roll
The minimum length of a roll of 70 meters.
Perhaps production of 18 cm and 24 cm wide roll.
Valery.
holomaker

Post by holomaker »

Hello Valery ! can you give specifics on the recommended processing and bleaching ?
Valery

Post by Valery »

holomaker wrote:Hello Valery ! can you give specifics on the recommended processing and bleaching ?

I work with GP-2 and fixer hypo. Without bleach for making Denysiuk. If transmission holograms, after fixer I bleach in potassium ferrocyanide with the addition of potassium bromide. Holograms have very little noise.

But many say that the good of the hologram obtained by use of a developer with bleach..
Valery.