Delayed processing of Ultimate

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I've had good results waiting to develop VRP-M for a few days after exposure. I haven't tried it with Ultimate yet. Has anyone tried it? I'll be shooting a few this weekend and won't be near a water tap for a couple of days.

How about doing multiple rinses in a few containers of water instead of flowing water? Ultimate is too expensive to be making mistakes.
zipsister

Post by zipsister »

That's interesting because one of my biggest complaints with Slavich film is that the latent images fades quickly, unlike Agfa and Ilford films where you could expose one day and process a week later. In fact, holograms were made on the space shuttle of crystal growth in a vacuum and the plates were processed back on Earth. My experience, although I think it was with PFG-01 or 03, can't remember now (but definitely Slavich), was that I exposed a sheet (laser transmission) and cut it into three pieces. The first third showed that the image was good when processed immediately, the second third was very faint when processed 8 hours later and the final third showed almost nothing when processed 24 hours later. This was quite a shock as my technique for making big holograms relied on delayed processing.
Dave
Valery

Post by Valery »

I do the holograms on its film in roll.
For fabrication 500-1000 frames it is necessary time.
After chemical processing of no difference in brightness of the holograms at the beginning initially at the end of the roll. Though time passed from 2 before 4 weeks.
Valery
Martin

Post by Martin »

smirholo wrote:After chemical processing of no difference in brightness of the holograms at the beginning initially at the end of the roll. Though time passed from 2 before 4 weeks.
Valery
Wow, that's pretty amazing, I wouldn't have expected that!

Otherwise, in order to prevent latent image fading, bathing the plates in a gold solution right after the holographic exposure might be an option. I don't know if that was viable in a cave environment though.
Valery

Post by Valery »

Possible this is connected with three reasons.

1 For fabrication of the emulsions I use only distilled water and test; his quality.
Slavich uses water does not distilled.
2 My emulsions VE 633 I use a hardening, Slavich PFG-03M this does not do
3 Films these 4 weeks convolute in roll.
Valery
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I shot some Ultimates yesterday and developed them last night after 14 hours. They look good. So now I know a the processing can be delayed half day, maybe more.
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I shot some Ultimates on Saturday and developed them 22 hours later. So it looks like about a day is okay for a delay.
John Klayer

Post by John Klayer »

I developed an Ultimate 08 plate yesterday that I shot in a cave on 22 Sept 2013, almost eight months ago. Somehow I left it in a light tight box and forgot about it. I know the date because it was in an envelope with the date, time, beam intensities, ratio, exposure time, temp and humidity written on it. After developing but before bleaching it wasn't very dense and had some of the security pattern of the envelope on it. The image is about the same brightness as most of the others I developed in a more timely manner.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Good latent image decay test! Sounds like the material passed!
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Din

Re: Delayed processing of Ultimate

Post by Din »

I've shot with VRP-M and developed them the next day with no real degradation. But, of course, it depends on the developing scheme, local conditions and exposure densities.