Silver Halide Recipe / Formula please

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Grayham

Silver Halide Recipe / Formula please

Post by Grayham »

Hi,
Can anyone point me at a resource for a good holographic emulsion formula please?
Single Jet, Double Jet or just a 3 part mix.

I'm looking for something I can make that is repeatable and coat with a Mayer bar please.
Or if you have a recommendation on a book that would be excellent too. I already have Han's book "silver halide recording materials"

Thank you
Grayham
soda

Re: Silver Halide Recipe / Formula please

Post by soda »

Currently I'm preparing detailed formula of my SilverX color holographic emulsion to publish it. Based on Silver Cross project, with several improvements, tips and tricks. Results are really good, quite repetable with minor variations batch to batch.
jrburns47

Post by jrburns47 »

I’ve never coated my own plates or film with silver halide mainly due to concerns re archival quality and adhesion. Virtually all of my work from 70s and 80s done on Agfa 8E56 is holding up well so far. I’ve stayed away from DCG for the same reason although Augie Muth may have solved the archival DCG issue. Does anyone have any real data on high quality home brew silver halide and archival and adhesion issues?
Valery

Post by Valery »

For over 20 years, I have been using only my silver halide emulsion.
Synthesis and watering do yourself on the glass and film. The main wavelengths are sensitized at 633 nm, 532 nm and 488 nm. I do and color. Some holograms on this material can be seen.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/s_m_a_k/m.html ... pg=&_from=
Sometimes Slavich ordered a film from me, now he makes it himself ..
My original recipe. I mainly use GP-2 developer.
soda

Post by soda »

Adhesion to substrate is main problem during processing. Archival quality is connected mainly with type of developement and namely with final wash. GP-2 followed by fix and properly washed is superior for long term stability, similar as B&W photography. Unfortunately, this chemistry cannot be used for color holography due to strong blue shift caused by fixing and wide replay bandwidth. Also thicker layer, desirable for color, caused me problems with mirror like silver layer formation, Valery, did you experienced with this problem? For color, I prefer CW-C2 and Brilland bleach - similary final washing is what make the archival quality, without it hologram disapear quickly.
Grayham

Post by Grayham »

I've been using a diffusion process based on Jeff's and Han's ideas though this requires cast (mold) coating.
The cast coating seems to stop the the silver nitrate precipitating out of the emulsion allowing the AgX crystals to grow in a controlled manner when dipped in bromide.
This works well for single plates but not so much for coating say 6 small ones at the same time.

I've made a simple AgBr emulsion which has a decent resolution but it seems I am reinventing the wheel :)

Soda, Valery, If you wish to share any secrets I won't tell any one :)

Kind Regards
Grayham
Valery

Post by Valery »

Adhesion to substrate is main problem during processing. Archival quality is connected mainly with type of developement and namely with final wash. GP-2 followed by fix and properly washed is superior for long term stability, similar as B&W photography. Unfortunately, this chemistry cannot be used for color holography due to strong blue shift caused by fixing and wide replay bandwidth. Also thicker layer, desirable for color, caused me problems with mirror like silver layer formation, Valery, did you experienced with this problem? For color, I prefer CW-C2 and Brilland bleach - similary final washing is what make the archival quality, without it hologram disapear quickly.
Если применять GP2, то эмульсия редко отслаивается от стекла, если, конечно, стекло хорошо моется, и полив идет с "нужной" стороны стекла, но при использовании CM6 и других, необходимо сначала нанести подслой. Я очень долго мучился с выбором наиболее подходящего подслоя и способа его нанесения.Но проблем сейчас нет. Что касается выпадения серебра после проявления вплоть до "зеркала", это означает, что в эмульсии избыток галогенида серебра, который никак не влияет на дифракционную эффективность, и при зхакреплении вымывается, приводя голграмму к усадке в сине-зеленую сторону. необходимо уменьшить количество серебра в эмульсии или добавить желатин.
Кстати, чтобы устранить усадку эмульсии в GP2, вы можете просто не закреплять ее после проявки или устранить его с помощью купания в сорбите или других веществах , которые после высыхания не дают уменьшение толщины политой эмульсии.
Без закрепления мои мастера ( денисюка) держится более 30 лет и с ними ничего не происходит. :D
Удачи в экспериментах.
Валерий.
admin_jsfisher
Site Admin

Post by admin_jsfisher »

Valery wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:45 pm Если применять GP2, то эмульсия редко отслаивается от стекла, если, конечно, стекло хорошо моется, и полив идет с "нужной" стороны стекла, но при использовании CM6 и других, необходимо сначала нанести подслой. Я очень долго мучился с выбором наиболее подходящего подслоя и способа его нанесения.Но проблем сейчас нет. Что касается выпадения серебра после проявления вплоть до "зеркала", это означает, что в эмульсии избыток галогенида серебра, который никак не влияет на дифракционную эффективность, и при зхакреплении вымывается, приводя голграмму к усадке в сине-зеленую сторону. необходимо уменьшить количество серебра в эмульсии или добавить желатин.
Кстати, чтобы устранить усадку эмульсии в GP2, вы можете просто не закреплять ее после проявки или устранить его с помощью купания в сорбите или других веществах , которые после высыхания не дают уменьшение толщины политой эмульсии.
Без закрепления мои мастера ( денисюка) держится более 30 лет и с ними ничего не происходит. :D
Удачи в экспериментах.
Валерий.
According to Google translate:
If you use GP2, then the emulsion rarely peels off the glass, if, of course, the glass is well washed, and watering comes from the "right" side of the glass, but when using CM6 and others, you must first apply a sublayer. I have been tormented for a very long time with the choice of the most suitable sublayer and the method of its application. But now there are no problems. As for silver deposition after the manifestation up to the “mirror”, this means that in the emulsion the excess of silver halide, which does not affect the diffraction efficiency, is washed out during fixation, leading to a blue-green shrinkage. it is necessary to reduce the amount of silver in the emulsion or add gelatin.
By the way, to eliminate shrinkage of the emulsion in GP2, you can simply not fix it after developing or eliminate it by bathing in sorbitol or other substances that, after drying, do not reduce the thickness of the watered emulsion.
Without fixing my masters (Denisyuk) lasts more than 30 years and nothing happens to them. : D
Good luck with the experiments.
Valery.
soda

Post by soda »

Grayham (and all): See new topic SilverX... there is attached formula.

Valery: Thanks for reply. When I dilute emulsion with gelatine, it is possible to develop thicker layer by GP2, selectivity somewhat improved, but decreased in difraction efficiency. Good sublayer is really needed even for GP2.

Спасыбо эа ответ. Когда я добавим желатин в эмульсию, это возможно проявыть большой слой в ГП2, селективнось увелычена, но дифракционная эффективность нехорошая. Хороший подслой нужен тоже для ГП2.