archiving silver halide

Silverhalide Emulsions / Chemistry.
Martin

archiving silver halide

Post by Martin »

Joe Farina wrote: I have always been interested in these types of holograms, though I never had one (I would like to). I guess this is really a Russian technique,
Actually, the Russian developers, AKA solvent-physical developers (which consist of a „normal“ developer to which a small amount of silver halide solvent has been added), seem to go back at least to Richard Neuhauss, the Lippmann photography guy.
Incidentally, the same kind of colloidal layer effect can also be achieved by physical development.
and I have wanted to ask our Russian friends about the history of colloidal development of holograms (wasn't it pioneered by Usanov?)
I guess the first attempts date back to Denisyuk/Protas. They did apply the old Valenta developer (used for Lippmann photographs) to holographic emulsions.
I would also like to know if the assumed non-printout quality of colloidal holograms has been proven over many years of observation in Russia.
[/quote]

Yes, I'd also love to hear more about that.
Last year, when I received some of the new AgX films produced by Valery Smirnov, I put one colloidal developed hologram on the window board. It stayed there, exposed to direct sunlight for several months. The hologram remained completely stable, I couldn't detect any darkening of the layer.