How long will LASERs be legal?

Topics not fitting anywhere else.
kyodai

Post by kyodai »

Here in germany they already are banned. All "Battery powered" Lasers over 1 mW can not be owned by private persons without a permission, so the high powered laser pointers (Like the 200 mW beast i have) are practically outlawed. Reasons is exactly what happned in russia, kids are pointing them at starting and landing airplanes. I even know an idiot who did this with a laserpointer similar to mine. I guess it just goes to prove that common sense is not some genetic feature or so. At least laboratory lasers that are not "battery powered" (i.e. Laser pointers) are excempt from the regulation. I just hope no goof will come to the idea to shoot his 80 Watt CO2 laser out of the window at kids on the playground...
Gall

Post by Gall »

According to Russian rule (SanPiN 5804-91), any laser with more than approx. 5 mW optical power (a complex computation formula depending on wavelength but similar to the IIIa class limit) SHOULD have a keyswitch with removable key, a mechanical beam shutter that can be operated by hand and a light indicator of beam presence. The operator of such a laser should have special permit. Any powerful laser pointer thus obviously violates SanPiN and thus IS illegal in Russia (in fact, it should not be sold in any retail stores). However, because it is only SanPiN (sanitary) rule and not a criminal law, it is not stictly obeyed (in fact, not obeyed at all).
holorefugee

Post by holorefugee »

It is the same here in the US. The Food and Drug Administration regulates LASERs and the rule is anything over 5mw has to have a key switch. Nobody obeys.