Lippman serendipity

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Tom B.

Lippman serendipity

Post by Tom B. »

Yes, I would think so too, but the PFG-03M recipe that Slavich gives includes a fixing step after GP-2 development. Weird.
Colin Kaminski

Lippman serendipity

Post by Colin Kaminski »

This is an expensive book and well worth every penny. Integraf has copies for sale.
Martin

Lippman serendipity

Post by Martin »

"Yes, I would think so too, but the PFG-03M recipe that Slavich gives includes a fixing step after GP-2 development."

Right. As a matter of fact colloidal development involves development and fixing simultaneously (see e.g. Benton's IEDT processing, US 4217405).
Jeffrey

Lippman serendipity

Post by Jeffrey »

Film substrate emulsions have usually been given a protective layer of unsensitized gel about 1 micron thick, which glass substrate emulsions don't have. That exceeds the fringe depth of the Lippmann configuration, so forget it, unless you know your film has no coating, your adhesive has no depth, and contact to the mirror is perfect.

Lippmann cameras should probably have the biggest aperture lens you can get, and put your subject in the sun. It can still take a minute or more.

Pyrogallol/whatever developers are very good for holograms, but better by far is a developer called CWC2, used with an Amidol-based bleach (amidol is ironically a developer). The advantage of this chemistry for holos and Lippmanns - VERY low noise, no emulsion shrinkage as with acids or fixer, color fidelity, brightness. I will never go back, myself, to good old pyro.

e-mail me if you want formulas.