Holography Math

These are all of the old posts from the first two years of the forum. They are locked.
Updated: 2005-03-28 by HoloM (the god)
Colin Kaminski

Holography Math

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I know a set up has to be more stable for a reflection hologram than a transmision set up. Is it possible to calculate why? Also I would like to calculate the spatial frequency required of my film for different setups. Can someone provide me with a reference or some leads? I don't even know where to start. Is this part of Fresnel optics?

Thank you in advance.
Jonathan

Holography Math

Post by Jonathan »

For calculating spatial frequency as a function of beam angles see:

http://courses.media.mit.edu/2002spring ... index.html

This page is part of an information packed web site having to do with the (spring, 2002) "Holographic Imaging" course at MIT headed by Steve Benton. He is writing a new book on the subject and you can find part of the draft here as well. A goldmine of a site!
Tom B.

Holography Math

Post by Tom B. »

Some good stuff here. The course reading list was interesting, too. Has anyone had a look at Hariharen's "Optical Holography" and would they care to express an opinion on it? Just wondering how readable, understandable, and practically useful it would be. I note there's a new edition out (2nd ed. September/02)
Colin Kaminski

Holography Math

Post by Colin Kaminski »

If you want all of the math first and the cool stuff second it is great. It actually is a wonderful overview of all the methods of holography with references to 100s of papers. For expanding my approach I like it the best. For getting things into the studio I like Saxby.

If I could only have three books on holography they would be Practical Holography, Optical Holography and Silver Halide Recording Materials.

I printed up Benton's book today. It looks very good.
Sergio

Holography Math

Post by Sergio »

Very useful formulas, by MIT, these detailed formulation are useful for a long time to all types of hologram setups, more "readable" than Kogelnik theory.
Colin Kaminski

Holography Math

Post by Colin Kaminski »

I was able to read the first 1/2 of the book this weekend as I was on vacation. What a great book! It reminds me of reading the Physics texts by Richard Feynman. Benton often tells us what he knows and what he does not know. He also tells us we are going to be using "shop math" instead of the more elaborate methods of use to us. The symbols are often (although not always) explained making this completely accessable for anyone who remembers some simple complex math, some trig and some simple vector algebra.

Even if you skip the math there are some very interesting and useful observations. I am just starting to get into the part where they describe actual holography and not ideal holography.

If you want to know not just why holography works but are looking for the tools to know exactly why we do what we do this is the book for you.

I would love to take this class. To bad MIT is so inaccessable to me.
Colin Kaminski

Holography Math

Post by Colin Kaminski »

Here is another class by Benton:

http://courses.media.mit.edu/2002fall/mas856/

It doesn't have the cool resources of mas450.