holomaker

Holography Contest 2012

Post by holomaker »

Danny can you supply any details yet ?
:?
Jem

Holography Contest 2012

Post by Jem »

Just searching through the forum and I saw this thread (again).

Is anything happening with the 2012 competition ?

Jem
Tony

Holography Contest 2012

Post by Tony »

You know if we don't do this maybe we should consider a pass around.
I have a few DCG holograms I'd be willing to send in and if others do as well then we can pass it from one Forum member to the next.
The contest is good but those who enter never see what the other holograms look like. Let's face it, nothing beats having a hologram in your hands. Dave's videos were great but what's the saying, "looking at a picture of a hologram is like kissing through glass". I would not recommend sending you best hologram but either one in your collection or one that is good but with a small flaw. Personally I would love to see other DCG holograms and one of Dave's rainbows.
Once a member is done (say a week) he moves along and write comments on the forum. Some of the gurus like Dinesh, Bob, Jeff etc can make recommendations and suggestions on how to improve one's technique.
Bottom line is contests are a bit hard to do with so little interest and bottom line is we all want to sit in front of a bright light with a Miller Lite and view holograms.
I would be happy to help set this up if anyone else is interested. I can help manage the packaging and schedules as to who is on the list (yes even you overseas chaps should be involved), when they should receive the bundle, and remind them to send it. I can post the schedule so everyone will see it (and therefore see who is lagging). I also recommend that we find some place (like Dave's library or some other location) that they can be displayed and viewed by kids for a period, then sent back home.
Anyway that is my two cents worth:)
Johnfp

Holography Contest 2012

Post by Johnfp »

Coors Light
holomaker

Holography Contest 2012

Post by holomaker »

i didnt want to retype it all, so i cheated and copied this from last year...............
holomaker wrote:As far as i know Danny has the ball so i guess its his rules we'll go by? my ideal contest would involve a small entry fee to help w/shipping costs, and the entrant will be allowed to judge all holograms (except your own), this way the entrant/judge can do their decision making by any means, by display to local friends,or self viewing in ones own home the decision would be yours, each entrant would get the holograms for a month ,then at the end we send them all back, this would require all holograms "display ready" and frame only no built in lighting involved or abstract displays..........who would be interested in doing this ? please respond if you think you WOULD submit a hologram.

categories?
10 mw or less
10 mw or more
small 4x5 or less
larger than 4x5
Ill enter a hologram (not for judging), but so the holo display to visit my place too!

Maybe better to get away from contest and move twords "World Holography Display" more twords educational ..........
dannybee

Holography Contest 2012

Post by dannybee »

Dave and I was given the contest at a team. David headed it up the last time I will head it up this time with David help and using the domain holosource.org as the platform for information and display of the galleries and giving a connection to the amateur & professional holographer that made it, even selling holograms on line if that’s what you want with paypal links.
We will use both this forum... and using face book and other sources , I just though some way of opening it to public ether face book or site ,, to spin it more out to the public
There was some talk of a traveling galleries, and its a good idea! keep posting your ideas so we can formulate this for 2012!
If you wish to join the team helping use to bring this to reality please contact us.. We can’t do this without help! In the the long run our goal is to educate others about holography.
David liked shipping all together as good idea
who want to help? who wants to be apart of the traveling galleries, I can have one here in Visalia, hoping Dave can get one in MIT in June 2012...maybe be in San Jose?
Ok give me your ideas
Lets work together to make this happen in 2012, I'm here to serve you
holomaker

Holography Contest 2012

Post by holomaker »

dannybee wrote: There was some talk of a traveling galleries, and its a good idea! keep posting your ideas so we can formulate this for 2012!
In the the long run our goal is to educate others about holography.
I can have one here in Visalia, hoping Dave can get one in MIT in June 2012...maybe be in San Jose?
Ok give me your ideas
Lets work together to make this happen in 2012

unfortunetly, i think time may have run out on MIT's symposium, if i recall correctly theres a gallery showing and if you want to have you hologram shown, it needs to be submitted by (i think),October 31. 2011

they may accept it as a later display, and im sure a venue here in NY, SUNY Brookhaven, University of Ohio,and others...

buy being an "educational display" we might be able to grab some fund dollars to help ship it arround ..........
dannybee

Holography Contest 2012

Post by dannybee »

holomaker wrote:
dannybee wrote: There was some talk of a traveling galleries, and its a good idea! keep posting your ideas so we can formulate this for 2012!
In the the long run our goal is to educate others about holography.
I can have one here in Visalia, hoping Dave can get one in MIT in June 2012...maybe be in San Jose?
Ok give me your ideas
Lets work together to make this happen in 2012

unfortunetly, i think time may have run out on MIT's symposium, if i recall correctly theres a gallery showing and if you want to have you hologram shown, it needs to be submitted by (i think),October 31. 2011

they may accept it as a later display, and im sure a venue here in NY, SUNY Brookhaven, University of Ohio,and others...

buy being an "educational display" we might be able to grab some fund dollars to help ship it arround ..........
sounds great dave
Dinesh

Holography Contest 2012

Post by Dinesh »

holomaker wrote:unfortunetly, i think time may have run out on MIT's symposium, if i recall correctly theres a gallery showing and if you want to have you hologram shown, it needs to be submitted by (i think),October 31. 2011
You still have a month. I believe all you have to do is to submit, in writing, what you're going to send them for the display with a few words as to content, intent etc. You don't have to actually send them a hologram. So if you have an idea for one that you think you can make, send them the concept. http://isdh2012.media.mit.edu/ Bottom of page for info on presenting holograms

I personally think that MIT is a good idea because mainstream, professional (and ex-professional) holographers have no idea about the talent, ability and excitement created by the hobbyists. I tried to bring it up during the Holography Group meeting at SPIE a few years back and was shot down (as if "hobbyists" weren't "real" holographers!). I believe Bob also tried to bring up the significance of the hobbyists crowd with no luck. If it's shown at MIT, in a corner specifically designated as "non professional/Artist" work, it may heighten the existence of the hobbysist crowd and get greater recognition/access to pros and recognised holographic artists.