FDA regulations for laser-lit holograms?

Holography related topics.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

I am helping set up an exhibit of a couple of laser lit holograms at a major cultural institution in Chicago. Since they are going to be laser lit with a divergent spread beam, it doesn’t appear that this kind of display falls under the laser safety rules of scanning laser light shows. Or does it?

The installation of the exhibit will simply have a 10 mW He-Ne directed at each of the holograms at the appropriate reconstruction angle, with a spatial filter attached to the laser directly, so there would be no access to the undiverged beam. The spread beam would illuminate the hologram, no scanning involved. Would the image light coming to the viewers’ eyes need to be under a certain MPE? I tried searching the FDA site, but couldn’t find anything about this situation.

Does anyone here have any experience with complying with the rules for this type of laser display? Any help, anecdotes, or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

I googled FDA rules on laser light shows.

Found this, which had lots of unhelpful links but I am sure its burried in there somewhere.
http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingPr ... 118907.htm

Then found this (check out pages 16 - 19, but all is a good read)
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDev ... 119257.pdf

Seems this doc is stating that when the laser reaches the public it needs to be a Class I, which is .39 microwatts. I would call or write if you have time to insure that the doc is not outdated.

I am only offering a source of information and not advice Jeff.
Johnfp

Post by Johnfp »

Actually, it seems if you put something together you care considered a manufacturer, even a show. So you would have to notify the FDA and get approval, if I read it right.

And you have to check with local and state.
Ed Wesly

Post by Ed Wesly »

Thanks for all the help! I don't know if there's time to get the variance, but we shall see...
"We're the flowers in the dustbin" Sex Pistols