Need a blue laser solution

Starting point for beginners questions.
djm

Post by djm »

Kyodai,

That laser is most likely based on the 1W laser diode people are harvesting from projectors. See the first link from holorefugee above, also linked below in my post, with W's experiments with this diode. That diode is in transversal multimode which makes it difficult to use, but it looks like you can get longitudinal single mode from it. What you need is a very stable temperature and current control, and eventually an extended cavity, and tweak it till you find a sweet spot. It is most unlikely that the laser you linked to are of any use for holographic work.

http://redlum.xohp.pagesperso-orange.fr ... ml#NDB7352
http://redlum.xohp.pagesperso-orange.fr ... ml#NDB7352
kyodai

Post by kyodai »

Oh sorry then. I am still such a bloody idiot when it comes to lasers. I find it hard to understand the differences. there are so many different types - with gasses, tubes, diodes and unspeakable abbrevations. Only thing a noob like me always understands is the power in Watt and the wavelength XD

But thanks for putting that right. I am sure i will get into it sooner or later. :D
djm

Post by djm »

Don´t worry. :)

Here is an overview of what to look for in a laser for holography.
Maybe, it can be of some help?
soct

Post by soct »

hi Justin,

you can get cheap 445nm lasers on ebay or some laser forums.

I have read the testing result from other guys doing the holography with 445nm lasers. On the market, there are 445nm 500mW or 1W laser diode, but it could run single mode, if the diode is only driven between 50mW. It could do the holography. :D
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi,
Some of the newer single transverse mode 445 nm diodes may work well with external grating feedback but that is not a turn key solution.

The Klastech and Cobalt lasers are very expensive and I have heard that the Klastech units have had reliability issues also despite the high dollar amount and German engineering. Melles Griot makes SLM 457 nm lasers in the 20K-30K range and used they appear for $4K-10K. lasersam and I have one listed here now for $7,500 with a fresh rebuild and a new pump diode. That is still high.

Many Coherent Sapphires running with no fan have SLM output but some run MLM and some flip; the laser must be well tested. I can offer those as well but cannot guarantee SLM forever at all power levels. Many times if the Sapphire flips to MLM one fingernail tap on the head mount will settle it back to SLM....BOING! W's laserblog has recently featured the Sapphire; it is about time someone agrees with me on this subject. See the link below:

http://hololaser.wordpress.com/

If anyone wants me to test a Sapphire for them I will do it for $100 total (including return shipping to the USA); not a bad deal since it will probably take several hours to test several start/run cycles and various powers.

Best wishes for bright holograms to all, Phil, 142laser (813) 974-2378 8-)
a_k

Post by a_k »

Some of the newer single transverse mode 445 nm diodes may work well with external grating feedback but that is not a turn key solution
Phil, which diodes did you have in mind?
142laser

Post by 142laser »

Hi,
I don't have solid information but some of the newer 80-100 mW single transverse mode 442-445 nm diodes may be able to output SLM using an external grating feedback cavity. This is not so easy to keep stable and the temperature and current must be optimal; this is a laser jock who also does holography and electronics solution. The 1 watt 445 nm diodes are multiple emitter devices with horrible beam quality; starting with a TEM 00 diode is better. Ondax sells 35 mW SLM red lasers (around $3K) and also 405 nm SLM but as of yet no 442nm or 445nm. I am sure they can get 35 mW but when you crank up the current to get over 100 mW the diodes want to run MLM, not just the blue ones, all diodes. The volume grating does not seem to have enough frequency selection at high power; adding another trick may be needed. I will ask my contact at Ondax about 442 nm and 445 nm. If they can get 35 mW SLM for $4K who wants one? 8-)
Wler

Post by Wler »

So after very carefully tinkering with the setup, I found that the Osram PL450 (which is sold on ebay as the Opnext HL45023TG) can deliver more than 40mW quite stable single longitudinal mode, with good beam specs (the collimatior needs to be adjusted to like 1/100 turn accuracy for best stability...). Some long term tests are still needed, but so far it looks that this diode beats the Casio/Nichia 1W in general suitability!

Here a brief movie (ca 2MB) movie (ca 2MB) (the popping sounds indicate mode hops).

-Wolfgang